Plane-parallel flow around a gas cavity
- 19 Downloads
The stationary motion of a gas cavity in an ideal incompressible fluid is studied taking account of surface tension by using a variational equation. Approximate analytical dependences of the dimensionless parameters on the degree of cavity deformation are obtained. It is shown that the variational equation admits of an exact analytical solution. The stability of motion corresponding to the exact solution is proved relative to arbitrary perturbations in the cavity shape. A solution is given for the problem of stationary motion of an elliptical cavity in a gravity viscous fluid and the stability problem is investigated. Dependences are found for the velocity of cavity rise, the Reynolds number, and the Froude number as a function of the cavity size.
KeywordsSurface Tension Reynolds Number Stability Problem Variational Equation Viscous Fluid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. I. Sedov, Methods of Similarity and Dimensional Analysis in Mechanics [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1972).Google Scholar
- 2.G. Birkhoff and E. Zarantonello, Jets, Wakes, and Cavities, Academic Press (1957).Google Scholar
- 3.A. G. Petrov, “Stability of the figure of equilibrium of a gas bubble in a homogeneous ideal fluid stream,∝ Zh. Prikl. Mekh. Tekh. Fiz., No. 5 (1974).Google Scholar
- 4.A. G. Petrov, “Dynamics of a plane cavity in a low viscosity fluid,∝ Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 5 (1973).Google Scholar
- 5.O. M. Kiselev, “On the problem of a gas bubble in a plane ideal fluid flow,∝ Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 4 (1969).Google Scholar
- 6.E. B. McLeod, “The explicit solution of a free boundary problem involving surface tension,∝ J. Ration. Mech. Anal.,4, No. 4 (1955).Google Scholar
- 7.S. I. Petrova, “Equilibrium mode of a cavity bounded by an elastic film in a homogeneous fluid stream,∝ Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 1 (1971).Google Scholar
- 8.O. M. Kiselev, “On the shape of a cavern bounded by a jet film,∝ Transactions of the Seminar on Boundary-Value Problems [in Russian], No. 6, Izd. Kazansk. Univ., Kazan' (1969).Google Scholar
- 9.M. I. Gurevich, Theory of Flows with Free Surfaces, Progress in Science [in Russian], Hydromechanics, Vol. 5, VINITI, Moscow (1971).Google Scholar