Network analysis of eigenvalue problem for multilayer dielectric waveguide consisting of arbitrary number of layers
- 24 Downloads
In this paper, the eigenvalue problem of a multilayer dielectric waveguide consisting of arbitrary number of layers is solved by the microwave network method. A general program with the function of computer graphics has been developed for analyzing the dispersion characteristics and the electromagnetic field distributions of an N layer dielectric waveguide. As examples of practical applications of the program, first, the dispersions and field patterns for the planar waveguides with refractive index of parabolic and exponential profiles are analyzed. Secondly, the procedure of mode conversion and mode separation in dielectric branching waveguides is vividly demonstrated through analyzing the field distributions of asymmetric multilayer dielectric structures and the general rules of mode conversion are discussed. The examples show that the present method possesses the advantages of versatility, rapidity, simplicity and accuracy.
Key WordsMultilayer Dielectric Waveguide Parabolic and Exponential Profiles Branching Waveguide Eigenvalue Problem Microwave Network Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. T. Peng and A. A. Oliner, IEEE Trans. on MTT, MTT-29, (1981)9, 843–855.Google Scholar
- S. T. Peng, Xu Shanjia and F. K. Schwering, “Scattering of Surface Waves by Nonuniform Dielectric Waveguides”, IEEE International Microwave Symposium Digest, June, 1985.Google Scholar
- Xu Shanjia, S. T. Peng and F. K. Schwering, “Effect of Transition Waveguides on Dielectric Waveguide Directional Coupler”, IEEE International Microwave Symposium Digest, June, 1986.Google Scholar
- Xu Shanjia, S. T. Peng and F. K. Schwering, International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter waves, 8(1987)9.Google Scholar
- A. A. Oliner and Xu Shanjia, “A Novel Phased Array of Leaky-Wave NRD Guides”, 1987 URSI Radio Science Meeting, June, 1987.Google Scholar
- Xu Shanjia, International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 8(1987)11.Google Scholar
- Xu Shanjia, “Dielectric Waveguide Branching Directional Coupler”, The 12th IEEE International Conference on Infrared and Millimeter waves Digest, December, 1987.Google Scholar
- M. J. Adams, Optical and Quantum Electronics, No. 10, 1978.Google Scholar
- M. J. Adams, An Introduction to Optical Waveguides, John Wiley & Sons, 1981.Google Scholar