Radiation patterns of circular apertures with Gaussian illumination
- 228 Downloads
We analyze the radiation pattern from circular apertures with Gaussian electric field distribution. Patterns are calculated using the Fraunhofer diffraction integral and we obtain a convenient expression for the FWHM beamwidth as a function of the edge taper. The aperture efficiency can be calculated for blocked and unblocked apertures in analytic form. The beam efficiency must be computed numerically, but can be obtained in a straightforward way from the beamwidth.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. F. Goldsmith, “A Quasioptical Feed System for Radioastronomical Observations at Millimeter Wavelengths,”Bell Sys. Tech. J., 56, No. 8, 1977, pp. 1483–1501.Google Scholar
- J. W. Lamb, “Quasioptical Coupling of Gaussian Beam Systems to Large Cassegrain Antennas,” Int. J.Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 7, No. 10, 1986, pp. 1511–1536.Google Scholar
- S. Silver (ed.),Microwave Antenna Theory and Design. New York: McGraw Hill, pp. 390–395, 1949.Google Scholar
- M. Born and E. Wolf,Principles of Optics (Sixth Edition). Oxford: Pergamon, pp. 382–383, 1980.Google Scholar
- J. D. Kraus,Radio Astronomy. New York: McGraw Hill, pp. 219–221, 1966.Google Scholar
- Born and Wolf, as in Reference 4, p. 398.Google Scholar