Long-time correlation effects on displacement distributions
- 89 Downloads
The distribution of displacements in a fluid of hard disks is found by molecular dynamics to be non-Gaussian in the long-time limit, as surmised from the moments of the distribution that yield divergent diffusion and Burnett coefficients. On the other hand, for the Lorentz gas of hard disks, the distribution of displacements is Gaussian in the long-time limit and the diffusion coefficient exists, though the autocorrelation functions have power law tails, which lead to divergent Burnett coefficients.
Key wordsDisplacement distributions long-time correlations Lorentz gas Burnett coefficient percolation point non-Gaussian distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. J. Alder and T. E. Wainwright,Phys. Rev. A 1:18 (1970).Google Scholar
- 2.I. M. deSchepper and M. H. Ernst,Physica 87A:35 (1977).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Chapman and T. G. Cowling,The Mathematical Theory of Non-Uniform Gases, 3rd ed. (Cambridge University Press, 1970), Chapter 8.Google Scholar
- 4.W. W. Wood,Fundamental Problems in Statistical Mechanics, Vol. 3, E. D. G. Cohen, ed. (1975), p. 331.Google Scholar
- 5.L. A. Bunimovich,Theory Probability Appl. 19:65 (1974); Y. Sinai,Russ. Math. Surv. 25:137 (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.M. M. Ernst and A. Weyland,Phys. Lett. 34A:39 (1971).Google Scholar
- 7.W. W. Wood and F. Lado,J. Comp. Phys. 7:528 (1971).Google Scholar
- 8.S. W. Haan and R. Zwanzig,J. Phys. A: Math. Gen. 10:1547 (1977).Google Scholar
- 9.N. C. Metropolis, A. W. Rosenbluth, M. N. Rosenbluth, A. H. Teller, and E. Teller,J. Chem. Phys. 21:1087 (1953).Google Scholar
- 10.E. W. Montroll and G. H. Weiss,J. Math. Phys. 6:167 (1965).Google Scholar
- 11.C. Bruin,Physica 72:261 (1974).Google Scholar