Treatment of droplike clusters in nucleation theory using Reiss's method
- 30 Downloads
The expression of the correction factorΦ in nucleation theory is derived by extending the method Reiss used recently.Φ is the factor appearing in the number of critical nuclei (formed as a vapor condenses into liquid drops) as a correction to the conventional theory. It is shown thatΦ=p l /ν g /kT, wherep l is the pressure of the liquid phase inside the drop,ν g , is the volume per molecule in the vapor phase,k is the Boltzmann constant, andT is the absolute temperature. The difference between thisΦ and Reiss's expression isp l , which replaces hisp g (the vapor pressure in equilibrium with the drop). TheΦ derived in this paper is compatible with the expressionΦ=ν g /ν l (ν l is the molecular volume in the liquid phase) previously proposed by the present author.
Key wordsNucleation condensation rate partition function clusters surface layer unstable equilibrium fluid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Reiss,J. Stat. Phys. 2:83 (1970).Google Scholar
- 2.R. Kikuchi,J. Stat. Phys. 1:351 (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.F. F. Abraham,J. Appl. Phys. 39:3287 (1968).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Frenkel,Kinetic Theory of Liquids, Oxford University Press, 1946, Chapter VII.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Lothe and G. M. Pound,J. Chem. Phys. 36:2080 (1962).Google Scholar