An improved approximation to the microstrip line capacitance
- 104 Downloads
A new empirical formula is presented for the normalised capacitance of microstrip lines. The formula uses a single equation to represent the microstrip line capacitance over the useful range of the aspect ratio. The maximum error of the new formula is contained within 0.8 percent and the relative root-mean-square error is contained within 0.55 percent. The new formula can be easily implemented in computeraided design and analysis as well as in hand calculations using pocket calculators.
KeywordsAspect Ratio Empirical Formula Maximum Error Single Equation Improve Approximation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E.Bogatin, Design rules for microstrip capacitance, IEEE Transactions on Components, Hybrids and Manufacturing Technology, Vol.11, 1988, pp.253–259Google Scholar
- H.Nishiyama and M.Nakamura, Capacitance of a strip capacitor, IEEE Transactions on Components, Hybrids and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 13, 1990, pp.417–423Google Scholar
- M.V.Schneider, Microstrip lines for microwave integrated corcuits, Bell System Technical Journal, Vol.48, 1969, pp.1421–1444Google Scholar
- H.A.Wheeler, Transmission line properties of a strip on a dielectric sheet on a plane, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol.MTT-25, 1977, pp.631–647Google Scholar
- S.Y.Poh, W.C.Chew and J.A.Kong, Approximate formulas for line capacitance and characteristic impedance of microstrip line, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol.MTT-29, 1981, pp.135–142Google Scholar
- H.R.Kaupp, Characteristics of microstrip transmission lines, IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol.EC-16, 1967, p.185Google Scholar
- A.Kumar, D.Kumar, H.C.Gupta, K.N.Tripathi and P.C.Mathur, A method for the calculation of the characteristic impedance of microstrips, International Journal of Electronics, Vol.40, 1976, p.45Google Scholar
- T.Sakurai and K.Tamaru, Simple formulas for two- and three-dimensional capacitances, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol.ED-30, 1983, pp.183–185Google Scholar
- J.J.Thomson, Recent researches in Electricity and Electromagnetism, Oxford, U.K.: Clarendon, 1983, pp.208–250Google Scholar
- F.J.Young and A.T.Murphy, On microstrip capacitance and impedance, IEEE Transactions on Components, Hybrids and Manufacturing Technology, Vol.13, 1990, pp.1121–1123Google Scholar