On the diffusion of a fast molecule
We consider the motion of a heavy particle in interaction with an infinite ideal gas of slow atoms. We prove that the velocity of the heavy particle is, in a suitable limit, modeled by a deterministic process. We also treat the process of rescaled velocity fluctuations around a certain deterministic motion and show that this is appropriately modeled by a nonhomogeneous diffusion process.
Key wordsNonhomogeneous diffusion velocity fluctuations Rayleigh piston Markov approximation deterministic limit fluctuations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Billingsley,Convergence of Probability Measures (Wiley, New York, 1968).Google Scholar
- 2.D. Dürr, S. Goldstein, and J. L. Lebowitz,Comm. Math. Phys. 78:507–530 (1981).Google Scholar
- 3.E. B. Dynkin,Markov Processes I, II (Springer, Berlin, 1965).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Holley,Z. Wahrsch. Verw. Gebiete 17:181–219 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.T. Kurz,Ann. Probability 4:618–642 (1975).Google Scholar
- 6.B. Miller and W. Stein,J. Stat. Phys. 26(3):539–553 (1981).Google Scholar
- 7.N. G. Van Kampen,Stochastic Processes in Physics and Chemistry, (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1981).Google Scholar
- 8.L. N. Vaserstein,Comm. Math. Phys. 69:31–56 (1979).Google Scholar