Analysis of groove NRD waveguide bend using the coupled-mode theory
In this paper, the propagation characteristics of the dominant mode in GNRD guide bend are analysed employing the coupled-mode theory. The curves of bending loss vs. The groove depth or width, radius of curvature and frequency are given, which caused by the mode conversion of the operatingLSM 11 x mode to the parasiticLSE 11 x mode. It is found that the groove depth has a great influence upon the bending loss than the other parameters. According to the theoretical results, appropriate sizes of groove and radius of curvature should be chosen in designing a GNRD bend structure.
KeywordsPropagation Characteristic Theoretical Result Great Influence Dominant Mode Mode Conversion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T.Yoneyama and S.Nishida, “Nonradiative dielectric waveguide for millimeter-wave integrated circuits”, IEEE, Vol. MTT-29 pp. 1188–1192, No.11, 1981Google Scholar
- .W.X.Zhang, L.Zhu and L.L.Xiao, “Research progress in groove NRD waveguides” (in Chinese) Proc. of 5th National Conference on MMW & Sub-MMW (May, 1991, QuingDao, China_ pp. 275–278Google Scholar
- .E.A.J.Marcatili, “Bends in optical dielectric guides”, B.S.T.J 48, pp. 2291–2298 9, 1969Google Scholar
- .K.Matsumura et al, “A calculation method for phase constant of guided mode on curved rectangular dielectric waveguide”, IEICE, Vol. E70, pp. 899–901, No.10, 1987Google Scholar
- .T.N.Trinh and R.Mattra. Field profile in a single-mode curved dielectric waveguide of rectangular cross section”, IEEE, Vol. MTT-29, pp. 1315–1318, No. 12, 1981Google Scholar
- .T.Yoneyama et al, “Bends in nonradiative dielectric waveguide”, IEEE, Vol. MTT-30, pp. 2146–2150, No.12, 1982Google Scholar
- .L.Lewin, “Radiation from curved dielectric slabs and fibers”, IEEE, Vol. MTT-22, No.7, July, 1974, pp. 718–727Google Scholar
- .J.Meibner, “Radiation losses of E-plane groove-guide bends”, Electron. Lett. 7th, 1983, Vol.19, No. 14, pp. 527–528Google Scholar
- .T.Yoneyama, H.Tamaki and S.Nishida, “Analysis and measurements of nonradiative dielectric waveguide bends”, IEEE, Vol. MTT-34, No.8, pp. 876–882, 1986Google Scholar
- .T.Rozzi et al, “Finite curvature and corrugations in dielectric ridge waveguides”, IEEE, Vol. MTT-36, No.1, pp. 68–78, 1986Google Scholar
- .R.Scarmozzino et al, “Losses of tapered dielectric slab waveguides with axial variations in index of refraction”, IEEE, Vol. MTT-38, No.2, pp. 141–147, 1990Google Scholar