High space harmonic perturbations in travelling wave tubes
- 22 Downloads
Stability properties of the free streaming mode in an electron beam propagating through a cylindrical waveguide loaded with a tape helix are investigated, including influence of high space harmonic perturbations. Closed algebraic dispersion relation of the free streaming mode are obtained. Properties of the high space harmonic perturbations are numerically investigated in connection with application on a high frequency microwave amplifier. One of the most important features in this analysis is that instability of high harmonic perturbations occurs at a very large value of microwave frequency. In this regard, millimeter microwave can be easily attainable by reducing the helix radius to a subcentimeter.
KeywordsMicrowave Electron Beam Dispersion Relation Stability Property Free Stream
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. L. Hirschfield and V. L. Granatstein, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech. MTT-25, 528 (1977).Google Scholar
- J. Y. Choe, H. S. Uhm, and S. Ahn, J. Appl. Phys.52, 7067 (1981) and the references therein.Google Scholar
- A. Palevsky and G. Beketi, Phys. Fluids,22, 986 (1979).Google Scholar
- D. A. G. Deacon, L. R. Elias, J. M. M. Madey, G. L. Pamian, H. A. Shwettman, and T. I. Smith, Phys. Rev. Lett.38, 897 (1977).Google Scholar
- H. S. Uhm and R. C. Davidson, Phys. Fluids24, 2348 (1981) and the references therein.Google Scholar
- J. R. Pierce,Travelling-Wave Tubes (D. Van Nostrand Co., Inc., N. Y., 1950) and the references therein.Google Scholar
- P. J. Tallerico and J. E. Rowe, IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices,ED-17, 549 (1970).Google Scholar
- H. G. Kosmahl, IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices,ED-27, 526 (1980).Google Scholar
- D. A. Watkins, Topics inElectromagnetic Theory (John Wiley, N.Y., 1958) Chap 2.Google Scholar
- H. S. Uhm, Phys. Fluids26, in press (1983).Google Scholar
- H. S. Uhm and J. Y. Choe, “Electromagnetic Wave Propagation in a Tape Helix Waveguide,” submitted for publication.Google Scholar