A personal computer database system for head and neck cancer records
- 24 Downloads
The computerized database system described was initially developed in 1986 to facilitate analysis of retrospective head and neck cancer data from the Royal Adelaide Hospital Department of Otolaryngology. This has now been expanded to become an on-going patient information management system. It is based on the dBase-III-Plus database package and is implemented on an IBM XT compatible computer. The system was designed to be used by staff without specialist computer skills and is therefore largely “menu-driven.” The main functions include patient record creation, update, and retrieval, and the production of reports including graphical presentations. There is also a powerful but easy to use query facility. The system has already provided much useful epidemiological material but is now beginning to fulfill an even more important role in patient follow-up and in assisting evaluation of alternative treatment protocols.
KeywordsNeck Cancer Database System Information Management System Hospital Department Computerize Database
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stell, P.M., Morton, R.P., A microprocessor system for the storage and retrieval of otolaryngeal data.J. Laryngol. Otol. 98(11):1125–1130, 1984.Google Scholar
- 2.Huygen, P.L., Van den Broek, P., The design and use of a simple database for head and neck cancer.Clin. Otolaryngol. 10(3):157–162, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.Lee, J.W.C., Schaefer, S.D., Anderson, R.G., An otolaryngology surgical coding and reporting system.Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. 92(4):413–417, 1984.Google Scholar
- 4.Hokanson, J.A., Stiernberg, C., Quinn, F.B., McCarcken, M., et al. An information system for head and neck tumors.J. Med. Syst. 8(4):217–228, 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.Alberti, P.W., A computer data bank system for otolaryngologic and audiologic data.Arch. Otolaryngol. 109(4):245–251, 1983.Google Scholar
- 6.Ausler, R., Washburn, D., Rey, P., Stefanoff, F., Acquiring otoneurological results by computer. Evaluation after two years experience.Ann. Otolaryngol. Chir. Cervicofac. 99(9):403–408, 1982.Google Scholar
- 7.Garcin, M., Brisac, A., Ardaud, B., Use of a microcomputer for simplified processing of ENT case-records employing a commercial program.Ann. Otolaryngol. Chir. Cervicofac. 99(3):89–96, 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.Frachet, B., Meyer, B., Chouard, C.H., Pialoux, P., Microcomputer applications in otolaryngology.Ann. Otolaryngol. Chir. Cervicofac. 99(1–2):23–27, 1982.Google Scholar