An iterative requirements specification procedure for decision support systems
- 29 Downloads
Requirements specification is a key element in a DSS development project because it not only determines what is to be done, it also drives the evolution process. A procedure for requirements elicitation is described that is based on the decomposition of the DSS design task into a number of functions, subfunctions, and operators. It is postulated that the procedure facilitates the building of a DSS that is complete and integrates MIS, modelling and expert system components. Some examples given are drawn from the health administration field.
KeywordsEvolution Process Support System Decision Support Expert System Decision Support System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Keen, P.G.W., & Scott-Morton, M.S.,Decision Support Systems—An Organizational Perspective Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1978.Google Scholar
- 2.Keen, P.G.W., & Gambino, T.J., Building a decision support system: The mythical man-month revisited.Building Decision Support Systems (J.L. Bennett, ed.), Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1983, chap. 7.Google Scholar
- 3.Brookes, C.H.P., A framework for DSS development.Transactions DSS-85, Institute for the Advancement of Decision Support Systems, San Francisco, April 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.Mintzberg, H., Raisingham, D., & Theoret, A., The structure of unstructured decision processing.Admin. Sci. Q. 21(June), 1976.Google Scholar
- 5.Brookes, C.H.P., Text processing as a tool for DSS design.Processes and Tools for Decision Support (H.G. Sol, ed.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982.Google Scholar
- 6.Brookes, C.H.P., A corporate intelligence system for soft information exchange.Knowledge Representation for Decision Support Systems (L.B. Methlie and R.H. Sprogue, eds.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.Mintzberg, H., The manager's job: Folklore and fact.Harvard Bus. Rev. July/August, 1975.Google Scholar
- 8.Brookes, C.H.P.,Incorporating Text Based Information within a Decision Support System, DSS-81, Execucom Systems Corporation, 1981.Google Scholar