Michigan education trust: Characteristics of first- and second-round enrollees in a state tuition prepayment plan
- 32 Downloads
“Pay Now, Learn Later Plan Proves Popular in Michigan,” said the headline (N.Y.Times, August 12, 1988). The plan was the Michigan Education Trust (MET) advance tuition payment plan proposed by Governor James Blanchard in 1986. The Michigan Legislature approved MET at the end of 1986, and open enrollment for the first round took place in 1988. The second round of enrollment occurred in October, 1989. This research paper examines the characteristics of the first- and second-round enrollees, and it then compares the “beneficiary” (the legal term for the child who was enrolled) characteristics with those of the general population of the state and with the 1988 entering freshman classes of public universities in Michigan.
KeywordsGeneral Population Research Paper Education Research Legal Term Open Enrollment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Act No. 316 of the public acts of 1986. (1986). Lansing, MI: State of Michigan.Google Scholar
- Bowman, Robert. (1986). Testimony before House Committee on Colleges and Universities. Lansing, MI: Michigan Legislature.Google Scholar
- Coopers & Lybrand. (1989).Tuition at Michigan universities: Trends and determinants. A Study for the Board of Directors of Michigan Education Trust. Southfield, MI.Google Scholar
- CRW Associates, Inc. (1987, November).Michigan Education Trust: A Study to determine market potential and price elasticities. East Lansing, MI: CRW Associates, Inc. 107 pages.Google Scholar
- Layzell, D.T. (1988, Summer/Fall). Pay now, pay later.Educational record. pp. 17–19.Google Scholar
- Michigan Department of Education. (1987).Conditions in postsecondary education in Michigan: A Profile of postsecondary education in Michigan, Lansing, MI: Higher Education Management Services.Google Scholar
- Michigan Department of Treasury. (1989).Analysis of the Michigan individual income tax for 1986. Lansing, MI: Taxation and Economic Policy Office.Google Scholar
- Pay-now, learn-later program proves popular in Michigan. (1988, August 12). New YorkTimes, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Ryan, Richard A. (1990, April 4). Never heard of Lake Township? Money talks, quietly. DetroitNews. p. B1.Google Scholar
- Source book of demographics and buying power for every zipcode in the United States. (1987). Arlington, VA: CACI, Inc.Google Scholar
- Source book of demographics and buying power for every zipcode in the United States. (1989). Arlington, VA: CACI, Inc.Google Scholar