Sex pheromone of the stable fly: Evaluation of methyl- and 1,5-dimethylalkanes as mating stimulants
- 44 Downloads
Each of 20 methyl-branched and 1,5-dimethyl-branched alkanes that comprise the active principle of saturated hydrocarbons of the female stable fly,Stomoxys calcitrans (L.), was synthesized and evaluated for mating stimulant activity. The compounds that showed the highest degree of activity in bioassays were 15-methyl- and 15,19-dimethyltritriacontanes.
Key wordsstable fly Stomoxys calcitrans (L.) pheromone sex pheromone branched alkanes mating stimulant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Harris, R.L., Oehler, D.D., andBerry, I.L. 1976. Sex pheromone of the stable fly: Effect of age, sex, species, and mating on content of cuticular hydrocarbons.Environ. Entomol. 5:973–977.Google Scholar
- Maercker, A. 1965. The Wittig reaction, p. 270–490,in A.C. Cope (ed.) Organic Reaction, Vol. 14. John Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Muhammed, S., Butler, J.F., andCarlson, D.A. 1975. Stable fly sex attractant and mating pheromones found in female body hydrocarbons.J. Chem. Ecol. 1:387–398.Google Scholar
- Uebel, E.C., Sonnet, P.E., Bierl, B.A., andMiller, R.W. 1975a. Sex pheromone of the stable fly: Isolation and preliminary identification of compounds that induce mating strike behavior.J. Chem. Ecol. 1:377–385.Google Scholar
- Uebel, E.C., Sonnet, P.E., Miller, R.W., andBeroza, M. 1975b. Sex pheromone of the face fly,Musca autumnalis De Geer (Diptera: Muscidae).J. Chem. Ecol. 1:195–202.Google Scholar
- Uebel, E.C.,Sonnet, P.E., andMiller, R.W. 1977. House fly sex pheromone: Enhancement of mating strike activity by combination of (Z)-9-tricosene with branched saturated hydrocarbons.Environ. Entomol. In press.Google Scholar