Rhythms of maleAntheraea polyphemus Attraction and female attractiveness, and an improved pheromone sythesis
- 41 Downloads
WildAntheraea polyphemus (Cramer) (Lepidoptera:Saturniidae) males were attracted to synthetic pheromone and to laboratory-reared females from 23∶00 (EDT) until dawn. Males were attracted to the synthetic pheromone at a mean time of 01:33 and to the females at 03∶23 (EDT). Synthetic traps accumulated the most males (61 compared to 19 in the female-baited traps), but there was no large difference in catch during the main interval of female attractiveness. Pheromone used in the study was prepared by an improved synthesis that utilizescis-4-nonen-1-yl bromide as a key intermediate.
Key wordsAntheraea polyphemus sex pheromone rhythm of female attractiveness male sex attractant rhythms pheromone synthesis trans-6-cis-11-hexadecadienyl acetate trans-6-cis-11-hexadecadienal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, C.A., andAruja, V.K. 1973. P-2 Nickel catalyst with ethylenediamine, a novel system Ior highly stereospecific reduction of alkynes to cis-olefins.Chem. Commun. 553–554.Google Scholar
- Butenandt, A., Hecker, E., Hopp, M., andKoch, W. 1962. Die Synthese des Bombykols und dercis-trans-isomeren Hexadecadien-(10.12)-ole-(1).Justus Liebigs Ann. Chem. 658:39–64.Google Scholar
- Cardé, R.T. 1974. Diel periodicities of female calling and male sex pheromone attraction inHolomelina aurantiaca (Lepidoptera:Arctiidae).Can. Entomol. 106:933–934.Google Scholar
- Cardé, R.T., Doane, C.C., andRoelofs, W.L. 1974. Diel periodicity of male sex pheromone response and female attractiveness in the gypsy moth (Lepidoptera:Lymantriidae).Can. Entomol. 106:479–484.Google Scholar
- Cardé, R.T. 1976. Utilization of pheromones in the population management of moth pests.Environ. Health Perspect. 14:133–144.Google Scholar
- Kochansky, J., Tette, J., Taschenberg, E.F., Cardé, R.T., Kaissling, K.-E., andRoelofs, W.L. 1975. Sex pheromone of the moth,Antheraea polyphemus. J. Insect Physiol. 21:1977–1983.Google Scholar
- Ratcliffe, R., andRodehorst, R. 1970. Improved procedure for oxidations with the chromium trioxide-pyridine complex.J. Org. Chem. 35:4000–4001.Google Scholar
- Rau, P., andRau, N.L. 1929. The sex attraction and rhythmic periodicity in giant Saturniid moths.Acad. Sci. St. Louis. Trans. 26:83–221.Google Scholar
- Su, H.C.F., andMahany, P.G. 1974. Synthesis of the sex pheromone of the female angoumois grain moth and its geometric isomers.J. Econ. Entomol. 67:319–321.Google Scholar