Sex attractant of the alfalfa looperAutographa californica and the celery looperAnagrapha falcifera (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae)
- 31 Downloads
In field tests, traps baited with a combination of (Z)-7-dodecen-1-ol acetate (previously proposed to be the sex pheromone ofA. californica) and (Z)-7-dodecen-1-ol formate caught about 100 times as many males as (Z)-7-dodecen-1-ol acetate did alone. Highest catches of males were obtained with traps baited with 0.5 mg of (Z)-7-dodecen-1-ol acetate and 0.1 mg of (Z)-7-dodecen-1-ol formate impregnated on red rubber sleeve stoppers. The celery looper,Anagrapha falcifera, was also caught in traps baited with a combination of these two chemicals.
Key wordssex pheromone sex attractant Autographa californica Anagrapha falcifera alfalfa looper celery looper attractant Synergist Z-7-dodecen-1-ol acetate Z-7-dodecen-1-ol formate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berger, R.S. 1966. Isolation, identification, and synthesis of the sex attractant of the cabbage looper,Trichoplusia ni. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 59:767–771.Google Scholar
- George, D.A., McDonough, L.M., Hathaway, D.O., andMoffitt, H.R. 1975. Inhibitors of sexual attraction of male codling moths.Environ, Entomol. 4:606–608.Google Scholar
- Kaae, R.S., Shorey, H.H., andGaston, L.K. 1973. Pheromone concentration as a mechanism for reproductive isolation between two lepidopterous species.Science 179:487–488.Google Scholar
- Killinen, R.G., andOst, R.W. 1971. Pheromone-maze trap for cabbage looper moths.J. Econ. Entomol. 64:310–311.Google Scholar
- Klun, J.A., andRobinson, J.F. 1972. Olfactory discrimination in the European corn borer and several pheromonally analogous moths.Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 65:1337–1340.Google Scholar
- McReynolds, W.O. 1966. Gas Chromatographic retention data. Preston Technical Abstracts Co., Evanston, Illinois, pp. 50–51, p 144–145.Google Scholar
- Roelofs, W.L., andComeau, A. 1971. Sex pheromone perception: Synergists and inhibitors for the redbanded leafroller attractant.J. Insect Physiol. 17:435–448.Google Scholar
- Roelofs, W.L., Cardé, R.T., andTette, J.P. 1973. Oriental fruit moth attractant synergists.Environ. Entomol. 2:252–254.Google Scholar
- Voerman, S., andMinks, A.K. 1973. Sex pheromones of summerfruit tortrix moth,Adoxophyes orana. 2. Compounds influencing their attractant activity.Environ. Entomol. 2:751–756.Google Scholar
- Voerman, S., Minks, A.K., andHoux, N.W.H. 1974. Sex pheromones of summerfruit tortrix moth,Adoxophyes orana: Investigations on compounds modifying their attractancy.Environ. Entomol. 3:701–704.Google Scholar