Isolation and culture of endothelial cells from the mesenteric vascular bed
- 201 Downloads
Methods are described for the enzymatic isolation of endothelial cells from rat and rabbit mesenteric arteries and veins. The mesenteric vascular bed is incubated with an enzyme solution containing collagenase, deoxyribonuclease, papain, dithiothreitol and bovine serum albumin for 45 min at 37 °C in a shaking waterbath. After the 45 min digestion, cells are centrifuged and plated. This method yields an endothelial cell population with a high plating efficiency which is relatively free of smooth muscle contamination.
Key wordsEndothelial cells Isolation Culture Mesentery Rat Rabbit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ryan US, White L (1986). Microvascular endothelium isolation with microcarriers: arterial, venous. J Tissue Cult Methods 10: 9–13.Google Scholar
- 2.Michel M, Stocklet JC (1991). Endothelial and smooth muscle cells from the same rat aorta. In vitro Cell Dev Biol 27A: 687–688.Google Scholar
- 3.Murphy HS, Maroughi M, Till GO, Ward PA (1994). Phorbol-stimulated influx of extracellular calcium in rat pulmonary artery endothelial cells. Am J Physiol 267: L145-L151.Google Scholar
- 4.Vanhoutte PM, Luscher T (1990). In the endothelium: moldulator of cardiovascular function, pp 23–135. CRC, Boca Raton, FL, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.Maciag T, Cerundolo J, Ilsley D, Kelley PR, Forand R (1979). An endothelial growth factor from bovine hypothalamus: identification and partial characterization. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 76: 5674–5678.Google Scholar
- 6.Papapetropoulos A, Marczin N, Snead MD, Cheng C, Milici A, Catravas JD (1994). Smooth muscle cell responsiveness to nitrovasodilators in hypertensive and normotensive animals. Hypertension 23: 476–484.Google Scholar
- 7.Papapetropoulos A, Burch S E, Topouzis S, Catrovas JD (1993). Radiation-induced alterations in angiotensin converting enzyme activity in cultured bovine pulmonary arterial endothelial cells. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 120: 96–105.Google Scholar
- 8.Suschek C, Fehsel K, Kroncke K-D, Sommer A, Kolb-Bachofen V (1994). Primary cultures of rat islet capillary endothelial cells. Am J Pathol 145: 685–695.Google Scholar
- 9.Marx M, Perlmutter RA, Madri JA (1994). Modulation of platelet-derived growth factor receptor expression in microvascular endothelial cells during in vitro angiogenesis. J Clin Invest 93: 131–139.Google Scholar
- 10.Suschek C, Rothe H, Fehsel K, Enczmznn J, Kold-Bachofen V (1993). Induction of macrophage-like nitric oxide synthase in cultured rat aortic endothelial cells. J Immunol 151: 3283–3291.Google Scholar