Storage cost considerations in secondary index selection
- 80 Downloads
This paper is concerned with the combined problem of selecting secondary indices for a large relational data base and placing data files and index files in multileveled storage. It is shown that if storage cost consideration is explicitly incorporated, then the optimization becomes nontrivial. An algorithm is presented for minimizing the expected query time under arbitrary storage cost constraints. The formulation includes the consideration that a physical storage block (rather than a single tuple) is the smallest unit of data transfer and that block size is level dependent.
Key wordsData base retrieval secondary indices index selection query time analysis knapsack problem storage cost storage blocks constrained minimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Knuth,The Art of Computer Programming (Addison Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1973), Vol. 3, Sec. 6.5.Google Scholar
- 2.V. Y. Lum and H. Ling, “An optimization problem on the selection of secondary keys,” inProc. ACM Nat. Conf., Vol.26 (1971), pp. 349–356.Google Scholar
- 3.T. C. Hu,Integer Programming and Network Flows (Addison Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1969).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Stonebraker, “The choice of partial inversions and combined indices,”Int. J. Comp. Inf. Sci. 3(2): 167–188 (1974).Google Scholar
- 5.W. F. King, “On the selection of indices for a file,” IBM Research Report, RJ 1341 (1974).Google Scholar
- 6.E. F. Codd, “A relational model of data for large shared data bases,”Commun. ACM 13(6):377–387 (1970).Google Scholar
- 7.J. B. Rothnie and T. Lozano, “Attribute based file organization in a paged memory environment,”Commun. ACM 17(2):63–69 (1974).Google Scholar
- 8.C. V. Ramamoorthy and K. M. Chandy, “Optimization of memory hierarchies in multiprogrammed systems,”J. ACM 17(3):426–445 (1970).Google Scholar
- 9.W. Chu, “Optimal file allocation in a multiple computer system,”IEEE Trans. on Computers C-18(10):885–889 (1969).Google Scholar
- 10.P. S. Chen, “Optimal file allocation in multilevel storage systems,” NCC 73, pp. 277–282.Google Scholar