β-Adrenergic receptor activity of cerebral microvessels is reduced in aged rats
- 11 Downloads
The effect of age on beta-(β) adrenergic receptor number (Bmax) and adenylate cyclase (AC) activity was determined in microvessels isolated from male F-344 rats at 3, 18, and 24 months of age. Scatchard analysis of [125I]iodocyanopindolol (ICYP) binding indicated reduced Bmax (fmol/mg) of microvessels isolated from 24 month old rats (27.2±4.9) compared with 3 month old (50.4±5.2) and 18 month old rats (p<0.01) (61.4±7.6). The basal AC activity (pmol cAMP/mg) in 24 month old rats (32.0 ±6.7) and in 18 month old rats (30.4±2.1) were significantly reduced compared to the basal activity in the young (50.1±4.2). The net isoproterenol or NaF stimulated AC activity in 24 month old rats (zero and 15.6±8.5 respectively) was also reduced compared to young rats (10.1±3.9 and 166.0±21.2 respectively). It is concluded that aging is associated with reduced isoproterenol stimulated AC activity of cerebral microvessels. This reduction is the product of reduced β-adrenergic receptor number and reduced activity of AC in aged rat cerebral microvessels.
Key WordsAging cerebral microvessels β-adrenergic receptors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Nathanson, J. A., and Glaser, G. H. 1979. Identification of β-adrenergic sensitive adenylate cyclase in intracranial blood vessels. Nature (Lond.), 228:567–569.Google Scholar
- 14.Bessey, O. A., Lowry, O. H., and Brock, M. J. 1946. A method for the rapid determination of alkaline phosphatase with five cubic milliliters of serum. J. Biol. Chem. 164:321–329.Google Scholar
- 15.Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, J. N., Farr, A. L., and Randall, R. J. 1951. Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193:262–275.Google Scholar
- 18.Mooradian, A. D., and Scarpace, P. J. 1989. The response to isoproterenol-stimulated adenylate cyclase activity after administration ofl-triiodothyronine is reduced in aged rats. Horm. Metabol. Res. 21:638–639.Google Scholar
- 24.Rennels, M., and Nelson, E. 1975. Capillary innervation in the mammalian central nervous system. An electron microscopic demonstration. Am. J. Anatomy 144:233–241.Google Scholar
- 26.Scarpace, P. J. 1986. Decreased beta-adrenergic responsiveness during senescence. Federation Proc. 45:51–54.Google Scholar