Mn2+-stimulatedATPase in rat brain
Divalent cation ATPases were prepared from rat brain synaptic vesicles, synaptosomal plasma membranes, and plasma membranes from the brain stem and sciatic nerve and tested for optimal stimulation by Mn2+, Mg2+, or Ca2+. ATPase in the synaptic vesicle subfraction was optimally stimulated by Mn2+. All plasma membrane preparations were optimally stimulated by Mg2+. Separate Mn2+ and Mg2+ ATPases could not be distinguished by either chemical inactivation or substrate preference criteria. Mn2+ stimulated ATPase in the micromolar range and it is suggested that Mn2+ interaction with ATPase may be of physiological and/or toxicological importance by being related to the cellular metabolism of this element.
KeywordsPlasma Membrane Sciatic Nerve Brain Stem Divalent Cation Synaptic Vesicle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Doherty, J. D., Salem, N., Jr., Lauter, C. J., andTrams, E. G. 1981. Mn2+ and Ca2+ ATPases in lobster axon plasma membranes and their inhibition by pesticides. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 69C:185–190.Google Scholar
- 10.Fiske, C. H., andSubarrow, Y. 1925. The colormetric determination of phosphorous. J. Biol. Chem. 66:375–378.Google Scholar
- 12.Ito, N., Kosita, M., andTanaka, R. 1982. Actomyosin-like ATPase extracted from plain synaptic vesicles fractions. Neurochem. International 4:247–258.Google Scholar
- 15.Kadota, K., andKadota, T. 1973. Isolation of coated vesicles, plain synaptic vesicles, and flocculent material from a crude synaptosome fraction of guinea pig whole brain. J. of Cell Biol. 58:135–151.Google Scholar
- 16.Mena, I., Marin, O., Fuenzalida, S., andCotzias, G. C. 1967. Chronic manganese poisoning. Clinical picture and manganese turnover. Neurol. 17:128–36.Google Scholar
- 19.Seth, P. K., Musain, R., Mushtag, M., andChandra, S. B. 1977. Effect of manganese on neonatal rat: Manganese concentration and enzymatic alterations in brain. Acta. pharmacol. et toxicol. 40:553–560.Google Scholar
- 20.Tanaka, R., Asaga, H., andTakeda, M. 1976. Nucleoside triphosphate and cation requirement for dopamine uptake by plain synaptic vesicles isolated from rat cerebrums. Brain. Res., 115:272–283.Google Scholar
- 21.Trams, E. G., andLauter, C. J. 1978. A comparative study of brain Ca2+ ATPases. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 59B:191–194.Google Scholar
- 22.Tsudzuki, T. 1979. Mg2+-dependent adenosine triphosphatase in isolated synaptic vesicles. Attribution of most of the enzymic activity to an actomyosin-like protein. J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 85:567–574.Google Scholar
- 23.Weil-Malherbe, H., andGreen, R. H. 1951. The catalytic effect of molybate on the hydrolysis of organic phosphate bonds. Biochem. J. 49:286–292.Google Scholar
- 25.Yamaguchi, I., Matsumura, F., andKodous, A. A. 1979. Inhibition of synaptic ATPase by Heptachlorepoxide in rat brain. Pestic Biochem. Physicol. 11:285–293.Google Scholar