Induced enzyme release from synaptosomes by halothane
- 17 Downloads
GABA-transaminase has been found to be released from rat brain synaptosomes by halothane in a dose-related manner. The releases of both GABA-transaminase and succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase were increased with time. The release of other enzymes (creatine kinase, glutamate decarboxylase, aspartate transaminase, lactate dehydrogenase, and malate dehydrogenase) was less in magnitude and not related to the duration of incubation. Such observations suggested a specific event in the halothane-induced release of GABA-catabolizing enzymes. A suggestion linking mode of anesthetic action to a mitochondrial effect of volatile anesthetics was made.
KeywordsLactate Glutamate Creatine Creatine Kinase Halothane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cheng, S.-C., andBrunner, E. A. 1983. A Proposed GABA Mechanism for Anesthesia. Pages 13–23.in Tiengo, M. andCousins, M. J. (eds.), Progress in Anesthesiology, Volume 3, Pharmacological Basis of Anesthesiology: Clinical Pharmacology of New Analgesics and Anesthetics, Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 6.Whittaker, V. P. 1965. Application of Subcellular Fractionation Techniques to the Study of Brain Function. Prog. Biophys. Mol. Bio. 15:39–96.Google Scholar
- 10.Passonneau, J. V., Lust, W. D., andCrites, S. K. 1977. Studies on the GABAergic System in Astrocytoma and Neuroblastoma Cells in Culture. Neurochem. Res. 2:605–617.Google Scholar
- 12.Bergmeyer, H.-U. 1965. Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. 2nd Edition. Academic Press, New York. Pages 266–270, 328–332, 736–741, 757–760.Google Scholar
- 16.Eger, E. I. II. 1974. Anesthetic Uptake and Action. Page 5, Williams and Wilkins Co., Baltimore.Google Scholar
- 18.Cheng, S.-C. Anesthetics. inLajtha, A. (ed.), Handbook of Neurochemistry, 2nd Ed., Vol. 9., Plenum Press, New York. (In press).Google Scholar
- 19.Bielicki, L., andKrieglstein, J. 1977. Solubilization of Brain Mitochondrial Hexokinase by Thiopental. Naunyn-Schmied. Arch. Pharmacol. 298:61–65.Google Scholar