Pyruvate fermentation in light-grown cells ofRhodospirillum rubrum during adaptation to anaerobic dark conditions
- 15 Downloads
Pyruvate fermentation inRhodospirillum rubrum (strains F1, S1, and Ha) was investigated using cells precultured on different substrates anaerobically in the light and than transferred to anaerobic dark conditions. Pyruvate formate lyase was always the key enzyme in pyruvate fermentation but its activity was lower than in cells which have been precultured aerobically in darkness. The preculture substrate also had a clear influence on the pyruvate formate lyase activity. Strains F1 and S1 metabolized the produced formate further to H2 and CO2. A slight production of CO2 from pyruvate, without additional H2-production, could also be detected. It was concluded from this that under anaerobic dark conditions a pyruvate dehydrogenase was also functioning. On inhibition of pyruvate formate lyase the main part of pyruvate breakdown was taken over by pyruvate dehydrogenase.
When enzyme synthesis was inhibited by chloramphenicol, propionate production in contrast to formate production was not affected. Protein synthesis was not significant during anaerobic dark culture. Bacteriochlorophyll. however, showed, after a lag phase, a clear rise.
Key wordsPyruvate fermentation Rhodospirillum rubrum Pyruvate formate lyase Formate, H2, propionate production
Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen (Göttingen)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D'Ans, J., Lax, E.: Taschenbuch für Chemiker und Physiker, 2nd ed., p. 968, Berlin-Göttingen-Heidelberg: Springer 1949Google Scholar
- Gürgün, V.: Untersuchungen über den anaeroben Dunkelstoffwechsel einiger Arten der phototrophen Purpurbakterien. Dissert., Göttingen (1974)Google Scholar
- Kondratieva, E. N.: Photosynthetic bacteria. Izdatel'stvo Akademii Nauk SSSR, Moskva. Trans: Israel Program for Scientific Translations, Jerusalem, 1965 (1963).Google Scholar
- Lindmark, D. G., Paolella, P., Wood, N. P.: The pyruvate formate lyase system ofStreptococcus faecalis. I. Purification and properties of the formate-pyruvate exchange enzyme. J. Biol. Chem.244, 3605–3612 (1977)Google Scholar
- Lüderitz, R., Klemme, J.-H.: Isonerung und Charakterisierung eines membrangebundenen Pyruvatdehydrogenase-Komplexes aus dem fakutativ phototrophen BakteriumRhodospirillum rubrum. Z. Naturforsch.32c, 351–361 (1977)Google Scholar
- McCormick, N. G., Ordal, E. J., Whiteley, H. R.: Degradation of pyruvate byMicrococcus lactilyticus. II. Studies of cofactors in the formate-exchange reaction. J. Bacteriol.83, 899–906 (1962)Google Scholar
- Schön, G., Ladwig, R.: Bacteriochlorophyllsynthese und Thylakoidmorphogenese in anaerober Dunkelkultur vonRhodospirillum rubrum. Arch. Mikrobiol.74, 356–371 (1970)Google Scholar