Complex formation between maleic anhydride and the vinyl ethers of phenol and para-methoxyphenol
- 30 Downloads
The mechanism of the formation of the π complexes of maleic anhydride with vinyl aryl ethers was studied by IR and UV spectroscopy and quantum chemistry.
The donor center during the complexation of maleic anhydride with vinyl phenyl ether in the case of the nonplanar conformation of the ether is the vinyloxy group. This leads to an increase in its reactivity during copolymerization. In the case of the planar conformation of the vinyl phenyl ether the main donor center is the phenoxy group. This gives rise to a significant decrease in the reactivity of the double bond in the maleic anhydride. On the whole a mixed mechanism of formation of the alternating copolymers is observed.
The complexation of maleic anhydride with p-methoxyphenyl vinyl ether in both conformations takes place with the participation of the aromatic fragment. This leads to a decrease in the reactivity of the monomers and to a consecutive mechanism of formation of the alternating copolymers.
KeywordsCopolymerization Phenoxy Vinyl Ether Maleic Anhydride Donor Center
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. I. Smirnov, T. L. Petrova, A. V. Kalabina, et al., Vysokomol. Soedin.,24, B, 303 (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.A. I. Smirnov, G. I. Deryabina, T. L. Petrova, et al., Vysokomol. Soedin.,23, A, 402 (1981).Google Scholar
- 3.T. L. Petrova, A. I. Smirnov, A. V. Kalabina, and V. B. Golubev, in: 22nd Conference on High-Molecular-Weight Compounds [in Russian], Alma-Ata (1985), p. 47.Google Scholar
- 4.A. I. Smirnov, G. I. Deryabina, A. V. Kalabina, et al., Vysokomol. Soedin.,17, B, 829 (1975).Google Scholar
- 5.G. Kuehlenz and N. N. Jaffe, J. Chem. Phys.,58, 2238 (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.L. V. Vilkov, V. S. Mastryukov, and N. I. Sadova, Determination of the Geometric Structure of Free Molecules [in Russian], Khimiya, Leningrad (1978), p. 224.Google Scholar
- 7.A. I. Smirnov, G. I. Deryabina, G. A. Kalabin, et al., Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 172 (1975).Google Scholar
- 8.A. I. Smirnov, T. L. Petrova, G. I. Deryabina, et al., Structure and Properties of Molecules [in Russian], KGU, Kuibyshev (1980), p. 95.Google Scholar
- 9.T. I. Rozova, G. V. Ratovskii, D. D. Chuvashev, and A. V. Kalabina, Zh. Obshch. Khim.,52, 1520 (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.A. I. Smirnov, G. I. Deryabina, G. V. Ratovskii, et al., Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 74 (1977).Google Scholar
- 11.S. P. McGlynn, Advances in Chemistry [Russian translation], Vol. 24 (1960), p. 1149.Google Scholar
- 12.G. V. Ratovskii, T. I. Rozova, P. I. Grebneva, and A. V. Kalabina, Teor. Eksp. Khim.,18, 45 (1982).Google Scholar