Molecular mechanical analysis of the structure of strained organic molecules Communication 5. Trans-bicyclo[n.1.0.]alkanes and their derivatives
- 23 Downloads
According to the molecular mechanical method, MM/2, the trans isomers of bicyclo [4.1.0]heptane and bicyclo[3.1.0]hexane are destabilized by 10–30 kcal/mole relative to the respective cis bicycles, whereas bicyclo[2.1.0]pentane lacks the minimum corresponding to the trans isomer.
Both the MM/2 method and quantum chemical calculations disclose the possibility of existence of the trans isomer of bicyclo[1.1.0]butane with an HC1C3H dihedral angle of 180°, and of a still more strained structure with an inverted configuration of the two bridge C atoms.
The relation between trans-bicyclo[1.1.0]butane derivatives and a pyramid structure has been analyzed, and possible routes to the fixing of the trans-bicyclo[1.1.0]butane skeleton in a polycyclic structural framework have been proposed.
KeywordsAlkane Pyramid Pentane Butane Quantum Chemical
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. I. Ioffe, V. A. Svyatkin, and O. M. Nefedov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 801 (1987).Google Scholar
- 2.A. Greenberg and J. F. Liebman, Strained Organic Molecules, Academic Press, New York (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.A. I. Ioffe, V. A. Svyatkin, and O. M. Nefedov, Structure of Cyclopropane Derivatives [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.K. B. Wiberg, E. C. Lupton, D. J. Wasserman, et al., J. Am. Chem. Soc.,106, 1740 (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Korn and T. Korn, Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Fisher and H. Kollmar, Theor. Chim. Acta,18, 163 (1970).Google Scholar
- 7.A. I. Ioffe, V. A. Svyatkin, and O. M. Nefedov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1060 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.A. I. Ioffe, V. A. Svyatkin, and O. M. Nefedov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 587 (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.V. A. Svyatkin, A. I. Ioffe, and O. M. Nefedov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 121, 1578 (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.K. B. Wiberg and J. J. Wendoloski, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,104, 5679 (1982).Google Scholar
- 11.S. P. Zil'berg, A. I. Ioffe, and O. M. Nefedov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 255 (1983).Google Scholar
- 12.V. I. Minkin, R. M. Minyaev, I. I. Zakharov, and V. I. Avdeev, Zh. Org. Khim.,14, 3 (1978).Google Scholar
- 13.V. I. Minkin and R. M. Minyaev, Zh. Org. Khim.,15, 225 (1979).Google Scholar
- 14.R. M. Minyaev, V. I. Minkin, N. S. Zefirov, et al., Zh. Org. Khim.,17, 3 (1982).Google Scholar