Preparation and reactivity of metal-containing monomers. 16. Thermal polymerization characteristics of transition metal acrylamide complexes
- 29 Downloads
The thermal polymerization of Mn(II), Co(II), Ni(II), and Zn(II) acrylamide nitrate complexes initiates spontaneously in the mp 80–100°C temperature range. Addition of a radical reaction inhibitor such as 2,2,4,4-tetramethyl-piperidine-1-oxide to these complexes shifts the polymerization range toward higher temperatures, while above certain concentrations of the additive, decomposition of the nitrate portion of the adducts takes place. A mechanism for the thermal polymerization of transition metal acrylamide nitrate complexes is proposed, involving initiation by the products of partial decomposition of the nitrate groups. A correlation or relationship has also been demonstrated between the thermal stability of these groups in the complexes and the ligand composition.
KeywordsPolymerization Nitrate Thermal Stability Adduct Acrylamide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. S. Savost'yanov, A. D. Pomogailo, B. S. Selenova, et al., Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., No. 4, 768 (1990).Google Scholar
- 2.V. S. Savost'yanov, V. I. Ponomarev, A. D. Pomogailo, et al., Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., No. 4, 762 (1990).Google Scholar
- 3.Encyclopedia Chemical Dictionary [in Russian], Sovetskaya Entsiklopediya, Moscow (1983), p. 220.Google Scholar
- 4.V. P. Pai Verneker and K. N. Santhanalakshmi, J. Polym. Sci., Polym. Chem. Ed.,22, No. 11, Part 2, 3217 (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Kishore and K. N. Santhanalakshmi, J. Macromol. Sci., Chem.,A16, No. 5, 941 (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.A. D. Pomogailo and V. S. Savost'yanov, Metal-Containing Monomers and Derived Polymers [in Russian], Khimiya, Moscow (1988), p. 164.Google Scholar
- 7.E. Borsig and M. Lazar, Chem. Zwesti.,22, No. 8, 627 (1968).Google Scholar
- 8.M. K. Mishra, Makromol. Chem. Rapid Commun.,6, No. 8, 541 (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.S. N. Bhadani and T. K. Prasad, Makromol. Chem.,191, No. 4, 1089 (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.M. K. Mishra, J. Appl. Polym. Sci.,30, No. 2, 725 (1985).Google Scholar