Cyclization of some linear terpenols initiated by “activated” DMSO
- 49 Downloads
It was shown that the acylhydroxysulfonium salt generated in situ from DMSO and trifluoroacetic anhydride causes low-temperature cyclization of geraniol, linalool, and nerol in an aprotic medium to a mixture of p-menthane monoterpenoids, and the maximum yield is obtained in the case of the last two terpenols. A similar result was obtained for E-nerolidol.
KeywordsDMSO Anhydride Maximum Yield Linalool Geraniol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. A. Smit and V. F. Kucherov, Usp. Khim.,28, No. 9, 272 (1959); D. E. Cane, Tetrahedron,36, 1109 (1980); J. K. Sutherland, Chem. Soc. Rev.,9, 265 (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.S. Kobayashi, M. Tsutsui, and T. Mukaiyama, Chem. Lett., 1137 (1976); C. A. Bunton, O. Cori, D. Hachey, and J.-P. Leresche, J. Org. Chem.,44, 3238 (1979); O. Cori, L. Chayet, L. M. Perez, et al., J. Org. Chem.,51, 1310 (1986).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Sakane, J. Fujiwara, K. Maruoka, and H. Yamamoto, Tetrahedron,42, 2193 (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.A. J. Mancuso and D. Swern, Synthesis, No. 3, 165 (1981).Google Scholar
- 5.A. M. Moiseenkov, V. A. Dragan, and V. V. Veselovskii, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., No. 2, 365 (1989).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Sakurai, A. Hosomi, M. Saito, et al., Tetrahedron,39, 883 (1983).Google Scholar
- 7.R. J. Crawford, W. F. Erman, and Ch. D. Broaddus, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,94, 4298 (1972); S. Kobayashi, M. Tsutsui, and T. Mukaiyama, Chem. Lett., No. 10, 1169 (1977).Google Scholar