Digital distal lower limb angiography: comparison of selective iliac injection with vasodilators and bolus chasing technique
- 51 Downloads
From October 1992 to May 1993 we carried out a prospective study on 30 patients, mean age 70 years, suffering from lower limb ischaemia (mild,n = 12; moderate,n = 9; severe,n = 9). Four masked investigators compared the outcome of two techniques for the preoperative evaluation of distal vessels of the lower limbs. The reference technique was digital subtraction angiography (DSA) with selective iliac injection, fixed centring on one ankle, and use so vasodilators. The new method was DSA with the so-called bolus chasing technique: after an injection above the aortic bifurcation, an acquisition during a continuous longitudinal translation movement allows all the arteries of the lower limbs to be visualised down to the most distal point. Both techniques are well tolerated and we found no significant difference in the number of distal arteries seen with the two methods. To assess the permeability of the distal lower limb network, the bolus tracking technique is as informative as an iliac selective injection, without its constraints. Consequently, we will routinely use it as the technique of choice.
Key wordsArteries Extremities Angiography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Smith TP, Cragg AH, Berbaum KS, Nakagawa N (1993) Comparison of the efficacy of digital subtraction and film-screen angiography of the lower limb: prospective study in 50 patients. AJR 158: 431–436Google Scholar
- 8.Derdik H, Miller N, Adler J, et al (1986) Primary and adjunctive intra-arterial digital subtraction arteriography of the lower extremities. J Vasc Surg 5: 599–604Google Scholar
- 9.Friedman SG, Moccio CG (1989) A prospective comparison of intra-arterial digital subtraction and conventional angiography prior to lower extremity revascularization. Cardiovasc Surg 30: 462–466Google Scholar
- 14.Duvauferrier R, Lucas C, Roche G, Ramée A (1992) Un nouveau concept en radiologie vasculaire: l'angiographie dynamique des vaisseaux périphériques. Rev Im Med 4: 149–152Google Scholar
- 15.Roche G (1992) L'angiographie dynamique des membres inférieurs: evaluation, optimisation et protocols. Thèse de Médecine, RennesGoogle Scholar
- 16.Duvauferrier R, Roche G, Aerts JC, Soly PF, Ramée A (1993) Dynamic angiography of the arteries of the lower limbs. MedicaMundi 38: 69–80Google Scholar