Effect of the solvent on reduction of azomethine dyes with ketyl radicals and recombination of ketyl radicals
- 29 Downloads
The rate constants of transfer of a hydrogen atom from ketyl radicals to azomethine dyes (kH) and the rate constants of recombination of ketyl radicals (2kr) in different solvents were measured by the method of pulsed photolysis. The dependences of kH and 2kr on the polarity of the solvent are V-shaped: kH and 2kr are maximum in weakly solvating solvents and in water and are minimum in nucleophilic solvents of medium polarity. This is due to the fact that nucleophilic solvation decreases and electrophilic solvation increases the reactivity of the ketyl radicals.
KeywordsHydrogen Recombination Hydrogen Atom Photolysis Medium Polarity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. S. Tatikolov, E. A. Shipina, V. I. Sklyarenko, et al., Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., No. 11, 2637 (1984).Google Scholar
- 2.V. I. Sklyarenko, A. S. Tatikolov, V. A. Kuz'min, L. G. Kurkina, and M. A. Al'perovich, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., No. 10, 2166 (1987).Google Scholar
- 3.V. I. Sklyarenko, A. S. Tatikolov, V. A. Kuz'min, and M. A. Al'perovich, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., No. 3, 1003 (1989).Google Scholar
- 4.V. A. Pal'm, Principles of the Quantitative Theory of Organic Reactions [in Russian], Khimiya, Leningrad (1977), pp. 106–114, 332–334.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Wilkinson and A. Garner, Photochem. Photobiol.,27, 659 (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.R. V. Bensasson and J. C. Gramain, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. 1,76, 1801 (1980).Google Scholar
- 7.L. L. Koroli, V. A. Kuzmin, and I. V. Khudyakov, Int. J. Chem. Kinet.,16, 379 (1984).Google Scholar
- 8.I. V. Khudyakov, V. A. Kuzmin, A. I. Yasmenko, et al., Int. J. Chem. Kinet.,16, 1481 (1984).Google Scholar
- 9.I. V. Khudyakov, P. P. Levin, V. A. Kuzmin, and C. R. H. I. De Jonge, Int. J. Chem. Kinet.,11, 357 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.R. Schmid and V. N. Sapunov, Non-formal Kinetics, Verlag Chemie, Weinheim (1982).Google Scholar