Reactivity of phenolates in the reaction with p-nitrophenyl acetate
- 41 Downloads
The kinetics of the reaction of p-nitrophenyl acetate with a series of o- and p-substituted phenolates and benzylamines was studied. In the reaction with the participation of o-aminomethylphenols two forms of phenolates are reactive, and in contrast to the usual phenolates, both are nucleophilic catalysts of the hydrolysis of p-nitrophenyl acetate, due to intramolecular catalysis of the splitting of the acetylated o-aminomethylphenol.
The specific behavior of the zwitterions of o-aminomethylphenols is explained by their ability to undergo a bifunctional reaction with the substrate.
KeywordsAcetate Hydrolysis Phenolate Catalysis Specific Behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. C. Bruice and R. Lapinski, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,80, 2265 (1958).Google Scholar
- 2.W. P. Jencks and. J. Carriuolo, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,82, 1778 (1960).Google Scholar
- 3.W. P. Jencks and M. Gilchrist, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,90, 2622 (1968).Google Scholar
- 4.A. B. Teitel'baum, K. A. Derstuganova, N. A. Shishkina, L. A. Kudryavtseva, V. E. Bel'skii, and B. E. Ivanov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 803 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.K. R. Balasubramanian and S. Selvarai, Tetrahedron Lett.,21, 851 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.A. B. Teitel'baum, L. A., Kudryavtseva, V. E. Bel'skii, and B. E. Ivanov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 81 (1982).Google Scholar
- 7.J. W. Smith, in: The Chemistry of the Amino Group, Wiley-Interscience, London-New York-Sydney (1968).Google Scholar
- 8.A. M. Litvinenko and N. M. Oleinik, Usp. Khim.,47, 777 (1978).Google Scholar
- 9.J. F. Kirsch and W. P. Jencks, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,86, 837 (1964).Google Scholar
- 10.B. I. Istomin, V. A. Pal'm, and V. M. Nummert, Reakts. Sposobn. Org. Soedin.,10, 609 (1973).Google Scholar
- 11.V. E. Bel'skii, L. A. Kudryavtseva, N. A. Shishkina, T. A. Zyablikova, A. V. Il'yasov, and B. E. Ivanov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 331 (1977).Google Scholar
- 12.A. B. Teitel'baum, A. M. Kurguzova, L. A. Kudryavtseva, V. E. Bel'skii, and B. E. Ivanov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 531 (1981).Google Scholar