Crystal structure of peroxydisuccinic acid
- 30 Downloads
The crystal structure and molecular structure of peroxydisuccinic acid have been determined.
Similarity has been found in most of the stereochemical parameters of peroxydisuccinic, succinic, and fumaric acids, and approximate isomorphism has been shown for the per-oxydisuccinic acid and the β-form of succinic acid.
On the basis of an analysis of the crystal and molecular structures of these compounds, a hypothesis has been advanced as to the stereochemical factors favoring inclusion of the peroxydisuccinic acid in the matrix of succinic or fumaric acid during cocrystallization, and also the factors destabilizing the peroxide group in these matrices and favoring its homolytic decomposition.
KeywordsPeroxide Crystal Structure Molecular Structure Succinic Acid Fumaric Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. I. Nikishin, A. T. Koritskii, E. K. Starostin, and S. I. Moryashova, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 2018 (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.G. I. Nikishin, A. T. Koritskii, M. I. Trofimov, and E. K. Starostin, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 2634 (1982).Google Scholar
- 3.J. S. Broadley, D. W. J. Cruickshank, J. D. Morrison, J. M. Robertson, and H. M. M. Shearer, Proc. Roy. Soc. (London), A,251, 441 (1959).Google Scholar
- 4.C. J. Brown, Acta Crystallogr.,21, 1 (1966).Google Scholar
- 5.A. L. Bednowitz and B. Post, Acta Crystallogr.,21, 566 (1966).Google Scholar
- 6.V. Karnozhitskii, Organic Peroxides [Russian translation], Inostr. Lit., Moscow (1961), p. 66.Google Scholar
- 7.N. J. Karch, E. T. Koh, B. L. Whitsel, and J. M. McBride, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,97, 6729 (1975).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Sax and R. K. McMullan, Acta Crystallogr.,22, 281 (1967).Google Scholar
- 9.C. Glidewell, D. C. Liles, D. J. Walton, and G. M. Sheldrick, Acta Crystallogr. B,35, 500 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.D. W. Walter and J. M. McBride, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,103, 7074 (1981).Google Scholar
- 11.C. M. Huang, L. Leiserowitz, and C. M. J. Schmidt, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 2, 503 (1973).Google Scholar
- 12.J. Emsley, D. J. Jones, and R. Kuroda, J. Chem. Soc., Dalton Trans., 2141 (1981).Google Scholar
- 13.W. B. Schweizer and J. D. Dunitz, Helv. Chim. Acta,65, 1547 (1982).Google Scholar