Nature of the donor-acceptor reaction of maleic anhydride with the vinyl ether of benzyl alcohol
- 49 Downloads
The nature of the donor-acceptor complex of maleic anhydride with the vinyl ether of benzyl alcohol was studied by NMR, UV spectroscopic, dielectrometric titration, and quantum-chemical methods; the equilibrium constant was-determined.
The formation of a π complex with weak charge transfer from the HOMO of the phenyl group and the HOMO of the vinyloxy group to the lowest unoccupied orbitals of the anhydride was demonstrated for the donor-acceptor reaction of maleic anhydride and the vinyl ether of benzyl alcohol.
In complexing of the vinyl ether of benzyl alcohol with maleic anhydride, the reactivity of the double bonds of the monomers is decreased in the copolymerization reaction, since the structure of the complex causes steric shielding of the Cβ atom in the double bond in the ether by the anhydride groups.
KeywordsPhenyl Double Bond Anhydride Benzyl Copolymerization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. I. Smirnov, T. L. Petrova, A. V. Kalabina, V. B. Golubev, and V. P. Zubov, Vysokomol. Soedin.,B24, 303 (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.A. I. Smirnov, G. I. Deryabina, T. L. Petrova, G. S. Georgiev, V. B. Golubev, and V. P. Zubov, Vysokomol. Soedin.,A23, 407 (1981).Google Scholar
- 3.A. I. Smirnov, G. I. Deryabina, A. V. Kalabina, G. V. Ratovskii, and V. L. Beloborodov, Vysokomol. Soedin.,B17, 829 (1975).Google Scholar
- 4.T. I. Rozova, Dissertation, Irkutsk (1983).Google Scholar
- 5.A. I. Smirnov, G. I. Deryabina, G. V. Ratovskii, G. A. Kalabin, D. F. Kushnarev, T. L. Petrova, and Yu. L. Frolov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 74 (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.G. Kuehlenz and H. H. Jaffe, J. Chem. Phys.,58, 2238 (1973).Google Scholar
- 7.L. V. Vilkov, V. S. Mastrukov, and N. I. Sadova, Determination of the Geometric Structure of Free Molecules [in Russian], Khimiya, Leningrad (1978), p. 224.Google Scholar