Influence of the polarity of the medium on the oxidation of 2,4,6-triphenylverdazyl by compounds with a “positive” halogen
- 18 Downloads
The kinetics of the reaction of 2,4,6-triphenylverdazyl with 2-bromocyclohexylbromoalonodinitrile was studied at 25°C in a benzene-nitrobenzene mixture and in pure solvents (C6H6, C6H5Cl, CCl4) in the range 2≤ɛ<7. The Kirkwood equation (μne=12.88D) was used to estimate the polarity of the transition state, and the Amis equation (rne=6.42 Å) to estimate the effect of radius of the activated complex. In a complex the proportion of transferable electronic charge is equal to 0.42, which permitted the reaction under study to be assigned to the SN2 type.
KeywordsOxidation Transition State C6H6 CCl4 Halogen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. I. Tomilenko, V. I. Staninets, V. P. Kukhar', and I. P. Beletskaya, “Interaction of stable verdazyl radicals with compounds containing “positive” halogen,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,252, No. 1, 129–132 (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.E. I. Tomilenko and V. I. Staninets, “Reactivity of triarylverdazyl radicals in the reaction with nitrobromodimethyl malonate,” Ukr. Khim. Zhurn.,49, No. 6, 640–653 (1983).Google Scholar
- 3.E. I. Tomilenko, V. I. Staninets, and I. P. Beletskaya, “Interaction of 2,4,6-triphenyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-symm-tetrazyl-2,4,6-triphenylverdazyl with triphenylbromomethane,” Zh. Org. Khim.,16, No. 5, 1091 (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.E. I. Tomilenko and V. I. Staninets, “Kinetics of the reaction of α-bromobenzyl cyanide with 2,4,6-triphenylverdazyl in benzene,” Ukr. Khim. Zhurn.,48, No. 6, 644–647 (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.S. G. Entelis and R. P. Tiger, Kinetics of Liquid Phase Reactions [in Russian], Khimiya, Moscow (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.R. Khun and H. Trischmann, “Uber Verdazyle, eine neue Klasse cyclisher N-haltigen Radikale,” Monatsh. Chem.,95, No. 2, 457–479 (1964).Google Scholar
- 7.E. Amis, Solvent Effects on Reaction Rates and Mechanisms, Academic Press (1964).Google Scholar
- 8.J. Timmermans, Physicochemical Constants of Binary Systems, Pergamon Press, New York (1959).Google Scholar
- 9.K. Torssell and K. Dahlkvist, “The addition of dibromomalonitrile to double bonds,” Acta. Chem. Scand.,16, No. 2, 346–350 (1962).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Gordon and R. Ford, The Chemist's Companion, Wiley (1973).Google Scholar