High efficiency hypochlorite generation
- 175 Downloads
The oxidation of chloride ion at DSA anodes gives higher yields of hypochlorite than were obtained at Pt or graphite electrodes.It is also shown that the problem of hypochlorite reduction at the cathode in undivided cells can largely be overcome by use of a ‘reduced area’ cathode. These two improvements have both been included in a new cylindrical hypochlorite cell capable of a 70% conversion of a 0.048 mol. dm−3 NaCl solution to NaOCl with a production rate of 50 gh−1 ‘active chlorine’.
KeywordsOxidation Chloride Physical Chemistry Graphite Chlorine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [l]N. Ibl and H. Vogt, in ‘Comprehensive Treatise on Electrochemistry’, Vol. 2, (edited by J. O'M. Bockris, B. E. Conway, E. Yeager and R. E. White) Plenum Press, New York, (1981).Google Scholar
- W. Gnehm, ETH Diplomarbeit, TCL number 3983, (1981).Google Scholar
- N. Ibl and D. Landolt,J. Electrochem. Soc. 115 (1978) 713.Google Scholar
- D. Landolt and N. Ibl,Electrochim. Acta 15 (1970) 1165.Google Scholar
- Idem, J. Appl. Electrochem. 2 (1972) 201.Google Scholar
- D. Matic, P. M. Robertson and N. Ibl,Electrochim. Acta 25 (1980) 478.Google Scholar
- P. M. Robertson, R. Oberlin and N. Ibl,Electrochim. Acta 26 (1981) 941.Google Scholar