Euler-Lagrange equation in the case of nonregular equality constraints
An optimization problem with inequality and equality constraints in Banach spaces is considered in the case when the operators which determine the equality constraints are nonregular. In this case, the classical Euler-Lagrange equation has the degenerate form, i.e., does not depend on the functional to be minimized. Applying some generalization of the Lusternik theorem to the Dubovitskii-Milyutin method, the family of Euler-Lagrange equations is obtained in the nondegenerate form under the assumption of twice Fréchet differentiability of the operators. The Pareto-optimal problem is also considered.
Key WordsDubovitskii-Milyutin method Euler-Lagrange equation equality constraints nonregular operators Lusternik theorem Pareto optimality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Girsanov, I. V.,Lectures on Mathematical Theory of Extremum Problems, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 1972.Google Scholar
- 2.Ioffe, A. D., andTikhomirov, W. M.,Theory of Extremal Problems, North-Holland, Amsterdam, Holland, 1979.Google Scholar
- 3.Ledzewicz-Kowalewska, U.,On Some Specification of the Dubovitskii-Milyutin Method, Nonlinear Analysis, Vol. 10, No. 12, pp. 1367–1371, 1986.Google Scholar
- 4.Ledzewicz-Kowalewska, U.,Application of the Method of Contractor Directions to the Dubovitskii-Milyutin Formalism, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Vol. 125, No. 1, pp. 174–184, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.Ledzewicz-Kowalewska, U.,A Necessary Condition for Extremal Problems under Gateaux Differentiability, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Vol. 134, No. 1, pp. 158–168, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.Avakov, E. R.,Extremum Conditions for Smooth Problems with Equality-Type Constraints, USSR Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Physics, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 680–693, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.Avakov, E. R.,Necessary Conditions for the Minimum of Nonregular Problems in Banach Spaces: Maximum Principle for Abnormal Problems of Optimal Control, Trudy Matematicheskogo Instituta, Akademii Nauk SSSR, Vol. 185, pp. 3–29, 1988 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 8.Tretyakov, A. A.,Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Optimality of pth Order, USSR Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Physics, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 123–127, 1984.Google Scholar
- 9.Censor, Y.,Pareto Optimality in Multi-Objective Problems, Applied Mathematics and Optimization, Vol. 4, pp. 41–59, 1977.Google Scholar
- 10.Kotarski, W.,On Some Specification of the Dubovitskii-Milyutin Theorem for Pareto-Optimal Problems, Nonlinear Analysis, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 287–291, 1990.Google Scholar
- 11.Rudin, W.,Functional Analysis, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, New York, 1973.Google Scholar
- 12.Walczak, S.,On Some Properties of Cones in Normed Spaces and Their Application to Investigating Extremal Problems, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 559–582, 1984.Google Scholar