Perfect equilibria in stochastic games
- 56 Downloads
We examine stochastic games with finite state and action spaces. For the β-discounted case, as well as for the irreducible limiting average case, we show the existence of trembling-hand perfect equilibria and give characterizations of those equilibria. In the final section, we give an example which illustrates that the existence of stationary limiting average equilibria in a nonirreducible stochastic game does not imply the existence of a perfect limiting average equilibrium.
Key WordsStochastic games equilibria trembling-hand perfect equilibria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nash, J. F.,Equilibrium in a Stochastic n-Person Game, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, Vol. 36, pp. 48–49, 1950.Google Scholar
- 2.Selten, R.,Reexamination of the Perfectness Concept for Equilibrium Points in Extensive Games, International Journal of Game Theory, Vol. 4, pp. 25–55, 1975.Google Scholar
- 3.Kemeny, J. G., andSnell, J. L.,Finite Markov Chains, Van Nostrand, Princeton, New Jersey, 1961.Google Scholar
- 4.Shapley, L. S.,Stochastic Games, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, Vol. 39, pp. 1095–1100, 1953.Google Scholar
- 5.Blackwell, D.,Discrete Dynamic Programming, Annals of Mathematical Statistics, Vol. 33, pp. 719–726, 1962.Google Scholar
- 6.Fink, A. M.,Equilibrium in a Stochastic n-Person Game, Journal of Science of Hiroshima University, Series A-I 28, pp. 89–93, 1964.Google Scholar
- 7.Rogers, P. D.,Nonzero-Sum Stochastic Games, PhD Thesis and Report No. ORC-69-8, University of California, Berkeley, 1969.Google Scholar
- 8.Vrieze, O. J., andThuijsman, F.,On Equilibria in Repeated Games with Absorbing States, International Journal of Game Theory, Vol. 18, pp. 293–310, 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.Thuijsman, F.,Optimality and Equilibria in Stochastic Games, PhD Thesis, University of Limburg, Maastricht, The Netherlands, 1989.Google Scholar
- 10.Tijs, S. H.,Noncooperative Game Theory, Lecture Notes, Catholic University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 1987.Google Scholar