Optimal harvesting of renewable resources
- 77 Downloads
The aim of the paper is to investigate different types of calculus of variations solutions maximizing the present value of a renewable resource. It is found that there are two types of optimal stationary harvesting policies. For certain cost functions, bang-bang harvesting may be more profitable than either of these.
Key WordsOptimal harvesting renewable resources calculus of variations bang-bang fishing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clark, C. W.,Mathematical Bioeconomics, John Wiley and Sons, New York, New York, 1976.Google Scholar
- 2.Plourde, C. G.,A Simple Model of Replenishable Resource Exploitation, American Economic Review, Vol. 60, pp. 518–522, 1970.Google Scholar
- 3.Goh, B. S.,Management and Analysis of Biological Populations, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Corporation, Amsterdam, Holland, 1980.Google Scholar
- 4.Clark, C. W.,Bioeconomic Modelling and Fisheries Management, John Wiley and Sons, New York, New York, 1985.Google Scholar
- 5.Cliff, E. M., andVincent, T. L.,An Optimal Policy for a Fish Harvest, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 12, pp. 485–496, 1973.Google Scholar