Modelling and optimization of reservoirs for long-term regulation with variable head using functional analysis
- 51 Downloads
In this paper, functional analysis and minimum norm formulation are applied to maximize the total benefits from two hydro reservoirs. The hydroelectric power generation is treated as a nonlinear function; water head variation and stochasticity of the river flows are included. The resulting problem has a nonlinear objective function and linear constraints. The proposed method is computationally efficient, compared to previous techniques. Numerical results are presented for widely different water conditions for an actual system in operation.
Key WordsOptimal control multireservoir hydroelectric power system optimal release policy variable head functional analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ikura, Y., andGross, G.,Efficient Large-Scale Hydro System Scheduling with Forced Spill Conditions, IEEE, Winter Meeting, 1984.Google Scholar
- 2.Dillon, T. S., Martin, R. W., andSjelvgren, D.,Stochastic Optimization and Modelling of Large Hydrothermal Systems for Long-Term Regulation, Electrical Power and Energy System, Vol. 2, No. 1, 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.Turgeon, A.,A Decomposition Method for the Long-Term Scheduling of Reservoirs in Series, Water Resources Research, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1981.Google Scholar
- 4.Soliman, S. A., Christensen, G. S., andAbdel-Halim, M. A.,Optimal Operation of Multireservoir Power Systems Using Functional Analysis, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 49, No, 3, 1986.Google Scholar
- 5.Christensen, G. S., andSoliman, S. A.,Long-Term Optimal Operation of a Parallel Multireservoir Power System Using Functional Analysis, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 50, No. 3, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.Turgeon, A.,Optimal Operation of Multireservoir Power Systems with Stochastic Inflows, Water Resources Research, Vol. 16, No. 2, 1980.Google Scholar
- 7.Soares, S., Lyra, C., andTavares, H.,Optimal Generation Scheduling of Hydrothermal Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-99, No. 3, 1980.Google Scholar
- 8.Lyra, C., Tavares, H., andSoares, S.,Modeling and Optimization of Hydrothermal Generation Scheduling, IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-103, No. 8, 1984.Google Scholar