Global convergence for Newton methods in mathematical programming
- 52 Downloads
In constrained optimization problems in mathematical programming, one wants to minimize a functionalf(x) over a given setC. If, at an approximate solutionx n , one replacesf(x) by its Taylor series expansion through quadratic terms atx n and denotes byx n+1 the minimizing point for this overC, one has a direct analogue of Newton's method. The local convergence of this has been previously analyzed; here, we give global convergence results for this and the similar algorithm in which the constraint setC is also linearized at each step.
KeywordsNewton Method Global Convergence Local Convergence Constraint Qualification Quadratic Convergence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Elkin, R.,Convergence Theorems for Gauss-Seidel and Other Minimization Algorithms, University of Maryland, Computer Science Report No. 68–59, 1968.Google Scholar
- 5.Auslender, A.,Méthodes Numériques pour la Résolution des Problèmes d'Optimisation avec Contraintes, University of Grenoble, Ph.D. Thesis, 1969.Google Scholar
- 8.Meyer, R.,The Solution of Non-Convex Optimization Problems by Iterative Convex Programming, University of Wisconsin, Ph.D. Thesis, 1968.Google Scholar
- 10.Robinson, S.,Private Communication, 1972.Google Scholar
- 11.Mangasarian, O.,On a Newton Method for Reverse-Convex Programming, University of Wisconsin, Computer Sciences TR No. 146, 1972.Google Scholar
- 13.Daniel, J.,Convergent Step-Sizes for Gradient-Like Feasible Direction Algorithms for Constrained Optimization, Nonlinear Programming, Edited by J. B. Rosenet al., Academic Press, New York, New York, 1970.Google Scholar
- 14.Daniel, J.,Convergent Step-Sizes for Curvilinear-Path Methods of Minimization, Techniques of Optimization, Edited by A. V. Balakrishnan, Academic Press, New York, New York, 1972.Google Scholar
- 17.Ostrowski, A.,Contributions to the Theory of the Method of Steepest Descent, I, University of Wisconsin, Mathematics Research Center Report No. 615, 1966.Google Scholar
- 19.Daniel, J.,Stability of the Solution and of the Constraint Set in Quadratic Programming, University of Texas, Center for Numerical Analysis, Report No. 58, 1972.Google Scholar