Optimal design of multi-purpose structures
- 61 Downloads
The paper presents the optimal (maximum transverse stiffness) design of an elastic, simply supported member of given volume that is to serve as a beam or as a column at different times during its design life. The optimal design can be interpreted in two ways. It is the design that has the maximum Euler buckling load in column action, subject to a prescribed maximum deflection in beam action under a uniformly distributed load; it is also the design that has the least deflection at midspan under a uniformly distributed load, subject to a lower limit on its buckling load in column action. The effectiveness of the optimal design is judged by comparing it with a prismatic bar of the same volume.
Key WordsMaximum transverse stiffness design multi-purpose beams columns uniformly distributed loads multi-purpose structures structural optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Prager, W., andShield, R. T.,Optimal Design of Multi-Purpose Structures, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 4, pp. 469–475, 1968.Google Scholar
- 2.Karihaloo, B. L.,Optimal Design of Multi-Purpose Tie-Beams, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 3, 1979.Google Scholar
- 3.Karihaloo, B. L.,Optimal Design of Multi-Purpose Tie-Columns of Solid Construction, International Journal of Solids and Structures (to appear).Google Scholar
- 4.Karihaloo, B. L., andParbery, R. D.,Optimal Design of Multi-Purpose Beam-Columns, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 3, 1979.Google Scholar
- 5.Hemp, W. S.,Optimal Structures, p. 49, Clarendon Press, Oxford, England, 1973.Google Scholar
- 6.Huang, N. C.,Optimal Design of Elastic Beams for Minimum-Maximum Deflection, Journal of Applied Mechanics, ASME, Vol. 38, pp. 1078–1081, 1971.Google Scholar
- 7.Prager, W., andTaylor, J. E.,Problems of Optimal Structural Design, Journal of Applied Mechanics, ASME, Vol. 35, pp. 102–106, 1968.Google Scholar
- 8.Keller, J. B.,The Shape of the Strongest Column, Archives for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, Vol. 5, pp. 275–285, 1960.Google Scholar
- 9.Tadjbakhsh, I., andKeller, J. B.,Strongest Columns and Isoperimetric Inequalities, Journal of Applied Mechanics, ASME, Vol. 29, pp. 159–162, 1962.Google Scholar