Serum-free cultivation of severalPlasmodium falciparum strains
- 36 Downloads
Plasmodium falciparum strains from different malaria-endemic regions were grown in continuous culture without human serum. The medium was complemented with Nutridoma-SR instead of serum. All parasite strains developed well in serum-free medium. Two strains were thawed without serum and showed good multiplication in subsequent continuous culture.
KeywordsHuman Serum Plasmodium Plasmodium Falciparum Continuous Culture Good Multiplication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barnes D, Sato G (1980) Methods for growth of cultured cells in serum-free medium. Anal Biochem 102:255–270Google Scholar
- Ifediba T, Vanderberg JP (1981) Complete in vitro maturation ofPlasmodium falciparum gametocytes. Nature 294:364–366Google Scholar
- Jensen JB, Boland MT, Hayes M, Akood MA (1982)Plasmodium falciparum: a rapid assay for in vitro inhibition due to human serum from residents of malarious areas. Exp Parasitol 54:416–424Google Scholar
- Lingnau A, Margos G, Maier WA, Seitz HM (1993) Serum-free cultivation ofPlasmodium falciparum gametocytes in vitro. Parasitol Res 79:378–384Google Scholar
- Mohapatra T, Hommel M (1985) Possible use of a serum substitute for the cultivation ofPlasmodium falciparum — laboratory meeting. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 79:275–282Google Scholar
- Nivet C, Guilotte M, Silva LP da (1983)Plasmodium falciparum: one-step growth in a semi-defined medium and the stimulatory effect of human seric lipoproteins and liposomes. Exp Parasitol 55:147–151Google Scholar
- Ponnudurai T, Meuwissen JHET, Leeuwenberg ADEM, Verhave JP, Lensen AHW (1982) The production of mature gametocytes ofPlasmodium falciparum in continuous cultures of different isolates infective to mosquitoes. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 76:242–250Google Scholar
- Siddiqui WA, Richmond-Crum SM (1977) Fatty acid-free bovine albumin as plasma replacement for in vitro cultivation ofPlasmodium falciparum. J Parasitol 63:583–584Google Scholar
- Trager W, Jensen JB (1976) Human malaria parasites in continuous culture. Science 193:673–675Google Scholar
- Willet GP, Canfild CJ (1984)Plasmodium falciparum: continuous cultivation of erythrocyte stages in plasma-free culture medium. Exp Parasitol 57:76–80Google Scholar