A one-sweep numerical method for vector-matrix difference equations with two-point boundary conditions
- 58 Downloads
A new method is proposed for reducing two-point boundaryvalue problems for vector-matrix systems of linear difference equations to initial-value problems. The method has the advantage that only one sweep is required, and memory requirements are minimal. Applications to potential theory are discussed.
KeywordsBoundary Condition Difference Equation Potential Theory Memory Requirement Linear Difference Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Todd, J., Editor,Survey of Numerical Analysis, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1962.Google Scholar
- 2.Isaacson, I., andKeller, H. B.,Analysis of Numerical Methods, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1966.Google Scholar
- 3.Collins, D. C., andAngel, E.,The Diagonal Decomposition Technique Applied to the Dynamic Programming Solution of Elliptic Partial Differential Equations, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications (to appear).Google Scholar
- 4.Lynch, R. E., Rice, J. R., andThomas, D. H.,Tensor Product Analysis of Partial Differential Equations, Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 70, No. 2, 1964.Google Scholar
- 5.Hockney, R. W.,A Fast Direct Solution of Poisson's Equation Using Fourier Analysis, Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, Vol. 12, No. 6, 1965.Google Scholar
- 6.Kalaba, R.,A One-Sweep Method for Linear Difference Equations with Two-Point Boundary Conditions, University of Southern California, USCEE Technical Report No. 69–23, 1969.Google Scholar
- 7.Kagiwada, H., andKalaba, R.,Derivation and Validation of an Initial-Value Method for Certain Nonlinear Two-Point Boundary-Value Problems, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 2, No. 6, 1968.Google Scholar
- 8.Bellman, R., Kagiwada, H., andKalaba, R.,Invariant Imbedding and the Numerical Integration of Boundary-Value Problems for Unstable Linear Systems of Ordinary Differential Equations, Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery, Vol. 10, No. 2, 1967.Google Scholar
- 9.Von Rosenberg, D. U.,Methods for the Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations, American Elsevier Publishing Company, New York, 1969.Google Scholar
- 10.Angel, E.,A Building Block Technique for Elliptic Boundary-Value Problems over Irregular Regions, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 1, 1969.Google Scholar
- 11.Bellman, R., andKalaba, R.,Quasilinearization and Nonlinear Boundary-Value Problems, American Elsevier Publishing Company, New York, 1965.Google Scholar