Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein PP12 in ovarian cyst fluid
Elevated levels of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein (IGF-bp) were recently found in the serum of patients with ovarian tumors. We studied the concentration of IGF-bp in cyst fluids of 37 women operated on for benign or malignant ovarian cysts. The levels were elevated (>47 μg/l) in 6 of 28 benign, but in none of the nine malignant ovarian cysts. The highest IGF-bp concentration (447 μg/l) was observed in a benign serous cystadenoma.
Key wordsIGF-binding protein Placental protein 12 Ovarian tumors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bast RC Jr, Klug TL, St John E, Jenison E, Niloff JM, Lazarus H, Berkowitz RS, Leavitt T, Griffiths T, Parker L, Zurawski WR, Knapp RC (1983) A radioimmunoassay using a monoclonal antibody to monitor the course of epithelial ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med 309:883–887Google Scholar
- Baxter RC (1986) The somatomedins: insulin-like growth factors. Adv Clin Chem 25:49–115Google Scholar
- de Bruijn HWA, Aalders JG, Kaner F, Duk MJ, van Beeck Calkoen-Carpay T, Fleuren GJ (1986) The biodistribution of CA 125 in the female genital tract. Tumour Biol 7:298Google Scholar
- D'Ercole AJ (1985) Affinity-labeled plasma somatomedin-C insulin-like growth factor I binding proteins. Evidence of growth hormone dependence and subunit structure. J Clin Invest 75:1350–1355Google Scholar
- Furlanetto RW (1980) The somatomedin C binding protein: evidence for a heterologous subunit structure. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 51:12–19Google Scholar
- Iino K, Seppälä M, Heinonen PK, Sipponen P, Rutanen E-M (1986) Elevated levels of a somatomedin-binding protein 12 in patients with ovarian cancer. Cancer 58:2294–2297Google Scholar
- Koistinen R, Kalkkinen N, Huhtala M-L, Seppälä M, Bohn H, Rutanen E-M (1986) Placental protein 12 is a decidual protein that binds somatomedin and has an identical N-terminal amino acid sequence with somatomedin-binding protein from human amniotic fluid. Endocrinology 118:1375–1378Google Scholar
- Seppälä M, Wahlström T, Koskimies AI, Tenhunen A, Rutanen E-M, Koistinen R, Huhtaniemi I, Bohn H, Stenman U-H (1984) Human preovulatory follicular fluid, luteinized cells of hyperstimulated preovulatory follicles, and corpus luteum contain placental protein 12. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 58:505–510Google Scholar