The use of deep frozen, stored bovine blood for in vitro feeding of tsetse flies
- 29 Downloads
A method of blood preparation is described which resulted in the successful rearing ofGlossina p. palpalis with in vitro feeding. Cells of defibrinated bovine blood were washed in 0.89% NaCl solution prior to deep-freezing. Cells and serum were stored (−28°C) for up to four months. For feeding, both components were mixed in the volumetric proportion 1:1. Adenosine triphosphate was added at a concentration of 10−3 M to stimulate uptake of blood. Survival rate and mean weight of puparia remained constant over three generations while productivity increased.
KeywordsSurvival Rate Adenosine Triphosphate Adenosine Triphosphate Bovine Blood
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Galun, R., Margalit, J.: Adenosine nucleotides as feeding stimulants of the tsetse fly,Glossina austeni Newst. Nature22, 583–584 (1969)Google Scholar
- Galun, R., Rice, M.J.: Role of blood platelets in haematophagy. Nature New Biol.233, 110–111 (1972)Google Scholar
- Graf, U., Henning, H.J., Stange, K.: Formeln und Tabellen der mathematischen Statistik, pp. 75–76. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York: Springer 1966Google Scholar
- Itard, J., Jordan, A.M.: Mass rearing using animals for feeding. In: Tsetse: The future for biological methods in integrated control, M. Laird, ed., pp. 124–140. Ottawa: IDRC 1977Google Scholar
- Langley, P.A.: The role of physical and chemical stimuli in the development of in vitro feeding technique for tsetse flies,Glossina spp. (Diptera, Glossinidae). Bull. Entomol. Res.62, 215–228 (1972)Google Scholar
- Langley, P.A., Pimley, R.W.: Quantitative aspects of reproduction and larval nutrition inGlossina morsitans Westw. (Diptera, Glossinidae) fed in vitro. Bull. Entomol. Res.65, 129–142 (1975)Google Scholar
- Mews, A.R.: The laboratory colonization ofGlossina morsitans morsitans Westw. fed through membranes with rabbit supplement. Rev. Elev. Med. Vet. Pays Trop., Suppl., 57–59 (1974)Google Scholar
- Mews, A.R., Baumgartner, H., Luger, D., Offori, E.D.: Colonisation ofGlossina morsitans morsitans Westw. in the laboratory using in vitro feeding techniques. Bull. Entomol. Res.65, 631–641 (1976)Google Scholar
- Wetzel, H.: Mass production using in vitro feeding. In: Tsetse: The future for biological methods in intergrated control, M. Laird, ed., pp. 141–148, Ottawa, IDRC 1977Google Scholar
- Wetzel, H.: Comparison of colony performance and generation sequence in the rearing ofGlossina p. palpalis (Rob.-Desv.) using in vitro feeding (Diptera, Glossinidae). Z. Angew. Zool. (in press, 1978)Google Scholar