A spectroscopic study of the reactions of substituted phenols and their organometallic derivatives with amines
- 23 Downloads
Electronic spectroscopy has been used to show the similarity of the reactions of the nitrophenols and their phenylmercury and triphenyltin derivatives with triethylamines and diethylamines.
Increasing the electron-acceptor activity of the aromatic ring substituent in the nitrophenol or the donor activity of the amine, or altering the polar properties and coordinating ability of the solvent, will shift the complexing equilibrium toward ion pair formation, and by promoting ionization, bypass the stage of molecular complex formation.
Data has been obtained on these reactions, and it has been shown that the formation constants for ion pairswith triethylamine fall off in the order: H > SnPh3 > HgPh.
KeywordsTriethylamine Spectroscopic Study Molecular Complex Formation Constant Nitrophenol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. S. Denisov and V. M. Shraiber, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,215, 627 (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.H. Baba, A. Matsuyama, and H. Kokubun, Spectrochim. Acta,25A, 1709 (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Scott, D. De Palma, and S. W. Vinogradov, J. Phys. Chem.,72, 3191 (1968).Google Scholar
- 4.A. N. Nesmeyanov, D. N. Kravtsov, B. A. Kvasov, E. M. Rokhlina, V. M. Pachevskaya, L. S. Golovchenko, and E. I. Fedin, J. Organomet. Chem.,38, 307 (1972).Google Scholar
- 5.M. L. Lin and K. M. Scott, J. Phys. Chem.,76, 357 (1972).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Romanowski and L. Sobczyk, J. Phys. Chem.,79, 2535 (1975).Google Scholar
- 7.T. E. Hogen-Esch and J. Smid, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,81, 6138 (1959).Google Scholar
- 8.H. E. Zaugg and A. D. Schaefer, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,87, 1857 (1965).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Charton, Prog. Phys. Org. Chem.,8, 253 (1971).Google Scholar
- 10.L. M. Épshtein, Zyuong Dan Dau, V. M. Pavcheskaya, L. S. Golovchenko, D. N. Kravtsov, and L. A. Kazitsyna, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim.,1975, 2447.Google Scholar
- 11.N. J. Rose and R. S. Drago, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,81, 6138 (1959).Google Scholar
- 12.Synthesis of Organic Compounds [in Russian], Vol. 2, Izd. Akad. Nauk SSSR (1952), p. 71.Google Scholar
- 13.J. D'Ans and H. Gold, Chem. Ber.,91, 3076 (1956).Google Scholar