The reaction of chloro(organylthio)acetylenes with alcohols and mercaptans in the presence of their sodium derivatives
Propanol and propylmercaptan regiospecifically add to the triple bond of chloropropylthioacetylene with attack of the nucleophile in the case of propanol at the carbon atom attached to sulfur and in the case of propylmercaptan, at the carbon atom attached to chlorine.
The addition of an alcohol occurs stereospecifically with the formation of a cis-adduct, while in the addition of propylmercaptan, cis- and trans-1,2-bis(propylthio)-2-chloroethylenes are formed.
The differences in the reaction pathways of sodium propylate and sodium propylthiolate are discussed in the framework of the effect of charge and orbital control on the reactivity of these nucleophiles.
KeywordsSodium Alcohol Sulfur Chlorine Carbon Atom
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. S. Atavin, A. N. Mirskova, E. F. Zorina, and N. V. Lutskaya, Inventor's Certificate No. 418,351 (Feb. 8, 1972); Byull. Izobr., No. 7 (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.A. N. Mirskova, T. L. Usova, N. V. Lutskaya, N. D. Kalikhman, and M. G. Voronkov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 426 (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.W. E. Truce, H. E. Hill, and M. M. Boudakian, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,78, 2743 (1956).Google Scholar
- 4.Yu. A. Boiko, B. S. Kupin, and A. A. Petrov, Zh. Org. Khim.,2, 1923 (1966).Google Scholar
- 5.U. E. Matter, C. Paskual, E. Pretsch, A. Pross, W. Simon, and S. Sternhell, Tetrahedron,25, 693 (1969).Google Scholar
- 6.J. A. Pople and D. L. Beveridge, Approximate Molecular Orbital Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York (1970).Google Scholar
- 7.L. E. Sutton (editor), Tables of Interatomic Distances and Configurations of Molecules and Ions, London (1958).Google Scholar
- 8.R. F. Hudson, Usp. Khim.,45, 416 (1976).Google Scholar
- 9.Experimental Methods of Chemical Kinetics [in Russian], Vysshaya Shkola (1971), p. 152.Google Scholar