Kinetics of the cross cannizzaro reaction of anisic aldehyde with formaldehyde in aqueous solutions of KOH
The kinetics of the Cannizzaro reaction of anisic aldehyde with formaldehyde in aqueous solutions of KOH with concentrations from 5.22 to 40.8% at 25 ±0.1° was investigated spectrophotometrically.
The reaction proceeds by two parallel pathways, while the reactive complexes are formed from twice ionized forms of formaldehyde and a nonionized molecule of anisic aldehyde with the participation of the K+ cation and without it.
From the kinetic data we calculated the ratios of the constants characterizing the reactivity of the redox pair anisic aldehyde-formaldehyde in the case of electrophilic assistance of the cation and without its assistance.
KeywordsFormaldehyde Aqueous Solution Aldehyde Kinetic Data Reactive Complex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. G. Bikbaeva, I. S. Kislina, and M. I. Vinnik, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 2440 (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.M. I. Vinnik and Y. V. Moiseyev, Tetrahedron,19, 1441 (1963).Google Scholar
- 3.A. Kh. Pochikyan and M. I. Vinnik, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1217 (1971).Google Scholar
- 4.N. S. Enikolopyan, L. P. Bobrova, and V. S. Korsakov, Vysokomolekul. Soed.,5, 1653 (1963).Google Scholar
- 5.J. F. Walker, Formaldehyde [Russian translation], Goskhimizdat, Moscow (1957).Google Scholar
- 6.R. A. Robinson and R. M. Stokes, Trans. Faraday Soc.,45, 612 (1949).Google Scholar
- 7.E. Shibata, I. Kobayachi, and S. Fukinawa, J. Chem. Soc., Japan,52, 404 (1931).Google Scholar
- 8.I. S. Kislina and M. I. Vinnik, Kinetika i Kataliz,14, 1134 (1973).Google Scholar
- 9.R. P. Bell and O. P. Onwood, Trans. Faraday Soc.,58, 1557 (1962).Google Scholar