Kinetics of the cross cannizzaro reaction of anisic aldehyde with formaldehyde in aqueous solutions of KOH
- 33 Downloads
The kinetics of the Cannizzaro reaction of anisic aldehyde with formaldehyde in aqueous solutions of KOH with concentrations from 5.22 to 40.8% at 25 ±0.1° was investigated spectrophotometrically.
The reaction proceeds by two parallel pathways, while the reactive complexes are formed from twice ionized forms of formaldehyde and a nonionized molecule of anisic aldehyde with the participation of the K+ cation and without it.
From the kinetic data we calculated the ratios of the constants characterizing the reactivity of the redox pair anisic aldehyde-formaldehyde in the case of electrophilic assistance of the cation and without its assistance.
KeywordsFormaldehyde Aqueous Solution Aldehyde Kinetic Data Reactive Complex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. G. Bikbaeva, I. S. Kislina, and M. I. Vinnik, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 2440 (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.M. I. Vinnik and Y. V. Moiseyev, Tetrahedron,19, 1441 (1963).Google Scholar
- 3.A. Kh. Pochikyan and M. I. Vinnik, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1217 (1971).Google Scholar
- 4.N. S. Enikolopyan, L. P. Bobrova, and V. S. Korsakov, Vysokomolekul. Soed.,5, 1653 (1963).Google Scholar
- 5.J. F. Walker, Formaldehyde [Russian translation], Goskhimizdat, Moscow (1957).Google Scholar
- 6.R. A. Robinson and R. M. Stokes, Trans. Faraday Soc.,45, 612 (1949).Google Scholar
- 7.E. Shibata, I. Kobayachi, and S. Fukinawa, J. Chem. Soc., Japan,52, 404 (1931).Google Scholar
- 8.I. S. Kislina and M. I. Vinnik, Kinetika i Kataliz,14, 1134 (1973).Google Scholar
- 9.R. P. Bell and O. P. Onwood, Trans. Faraday Soc.,58, 1557 (1962).Google Scholar