Temperature dependence of the rate of rapid reactions of proton transfer in aqueous solution
- 14 Downloads
The kinetics was studied and the activation parameters were determined for the protonation of hydrazine, hydroxylamine, ammonia, and the NH2Pt(NH3)4Cl2+cation in an aqueous solution containing the acid-base indicator dibromocresolsulfophthalein.
The increased values found for the activation energy of protonation by the hydrated proton of the N- and O-bases studied in this and previous works were interpreted within the framework of the hypothesis of the presence of a preceding equilibrium of reorganization of the solvate shell of the base.
The transfer of a proton to the bases studied from the dibromocresolsulfophthalein anion proceeds in a system of diffusion control.
KeywordsAmmonia Aqueous Solution Hydrated Activation Energy Hydrazine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. N. Vargaftik, L. A. Katsman, and Ya. K. Syrkin, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1890 (1972).Google Scholar
- 2.L. A. Katsman, M. N. Vargaftik, and Ya. K. Syrkin, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,206, 645 (1972).Google Scholar
- 3.L. A. Katsman, M. N. Vargaftik, and Ya. K. Syrkin, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 559 (1974).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Eigen, Angew Chemie,75, 489 (1963).Google Scholar
- 5.G. Ertl and H. Gerischer, Z. Elektrochem.,65, 629(1961);66, 560 (1962).Google Scholar
- 6.L. A. Katsman, M. N. Vargaftik, and Ya. K. Syrkin, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 299 (1974).Google Scholar
- 7.The Synthesis of Complex Compounds of Metals of the Platinum Group (Handbook) [in Russian], “Nauka” (1964), p. 160.Google Scholar
- 8.M. N. Vargaftik, V. A. Igoshin, and Ya. K. Syrkin, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1426 (1972).Google Scholar
- 9.L. G. Sillen and A. E. Martell, Stability Constants, Spec. Publ., No. 17, London (1964).Google Scholar
- 10.F. Bichowsky and F. Rossini, The Thermochemistry, N. Y. (1938).Google Scholar
- 11.R. C. Peterson, J. H. Margraf, and S. D. Ross, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.,83, 3819 (1961).Google Scholar
- 12.K. D. Riche and U. F. Sager, in: Modern Problems of Physical Organic Chemistry [Russian translation], “Mir” (1967), p. 524.Google Scholar
- 13.O. Ya. Samoilov, The Structure of Aqueous Solutions of Electrolytes and the Hydration of Ions [in Russian], Izd-vo Akad. Nauk SSSR (1957).Google Scholar
- 14.M. Eigen and L. De Maeyer, Proc. Roy. Soc. (London), A247, 505 (1958).Google Scholar
- 15.G. C. Pimentel and A. L. McClellan, The Hydrogen Bond, London (1960).Google Scholar
- 16.G. A. Krestov, The Thermodynamics of Ionic Processes in Solution [in Russian], “Khimiya, ” Leningrad (1973).Google Scholar
- 17.P. Debye, Trans. Elektrochem. Soc.,82, 265 (1942).Google Scholar