The purification and characterization of a lymphokine chemotactic for lymphocytes-lymphotactin
- 12 Downloads
Aqueous extracts of the thymus from vaccinated calves contain a protein specifically chemotactic for lymphocytes (lymphotactin). Lymphotactin has been isolated and purified by ethanol fractionation, ultrafiltration, isoelectric focusing, and preparative acrylamide gel electrophoresis. Its isoelectric point is 5.9, and the molecular weight by both SDS electrophoresis and exclusion chromatography is about 10,500. The purified sialoprotein is homogeneous at three different pH's in acrylamide gel electrophoresis. As little as 1μg of this material intraperitoneally will produce massive lymphocyte infiltration within 4 h in vivo.
KeywordsPublic Health Molecular Weight Internal Medicine Acrylamide Aqueous Extract
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.McCluskey, R.T., B. Benacerraf, andJ.W. McCluskey. 1963. Studies on the specificity of the cellular infiltrate in delayed hypersensitivity reactions.J. Immunol. 90:466.Google Scholar
- 2.Ward, P.A., C.R. Offen, andJ.R. Montgomery. 1971. Chemoattractants of leukocytes with special reference to lymphocytes.Fed. Proc. 30:21.Google Scholar
- 3.Houck, J.C., andC.M. Chang. 1976. Properties of lymphocyte chemotactic factor (lymphotactin) in thymus.Inflammation 1:217.Google Scholar
- 4.Ward, P.A. 1974. Leukotaxis and leukotactic disorders.Am. J. Pathol. 77:520.Google Scholar
- 5.Boyum, A. 1968. Ficol-Hypaque method for separating mononuclear cells and granulocytes from human blood.Scand, J. Clin. Lab. Invest., Suppl. 77.Google Scholar
- 6.Vesterberg, O., andH. Svenson. 1966. Isoelectric fractionation analysis and characterization of ampholytes in natural pH gradients.Acta Chem. Scand. 20:820.Google Scholar
- 7.Houck, J.C., andC. Chang, 1976. Purification of thymic macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF).Inflammation 1:189–200.Google Scholar
- 8.Davis, B.J. 1964. Disc Electrophoresis. II. Method and Application to Human Serum Proteins.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 121:404.Google Scholar
- 9.Weber, K., andM. Osborne. 1969. The reliability of molecular weight determinations by dodecyl sulfate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis.J. Biol. Chem. 244:4406.Google Scholar