Critical diameter of liquid explosives as a function of powder content
- 53 Downloads
The dependence of the critical diameter (d*) of nitromethane (NM) on the content of aluminum, aluminum oxide, tungsten powders, carbon black, and talc and the dependence of the d* of tetranitromethane (TNM) on aluminum and aluminum oxide content have been experimentally investigated. The powder content was varied over'a wide range (0–75% by weight), as was the particle size. It was found that for NM mixtures the variation of d* is quite different from that for TNM. For powder particle sizes of 1–50μ the d* of the NM mixtures decreases with increase in powder concentration. The minimum value of d* is ten times less than the value for pure NM. In TNM mixtures d* increases monotonically with the amount of powder. It is assumed that this behavior of the NM mixtures is associated with the inhomogeneous structure of the detonation front in NM, a consequence of the particular reaction kinetics characteristic of nitromethane.
KeywordsAluminum Particle Size Tungsten Explosive Industrial Mathematic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu. B. Khariton, “The detonability of explosives,” collection: Problems of Explosives Theory [in Russian], no. 1, Izd-vo AN SSSR, Moscow, 1947.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Ya. Apin and L. N. Stesik, “The chemical reaction mechanism in the detonation of explosives,” PMTF [Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics], no. 2, 1965.Google Scholar
- 3.A. N. Dremin, G. A. Adadurov, and O. K. Rozanov, “Near-limit detonation of nitromethane,” DAN SSSR, vol. 133, no. 6, 1960.Google Scholar
- 4.A. N. Dremin and S. D. Savrov, “Stability of the detonation front in liquid explosives,” Fizika goreniya i vzryva [Combustion, Explosion, and Shock Waves], no. 1, 1966.Google Scholar
- 5.A. N. Dremin and S. D. Savrov, “Limiting conditions of stable propagation of detonation with a one-dimensional zone in liquid explosives,” Fizika goreniya i vzryva [Combustion, Explosion, and Shock Waves], no. 4, 1966.Google Scholar
- 6.A. W. Campbell, W. C. Davis, J. B. Ramsay, and J. R. Travis, “Shock initiation of solid explosives,” Phys. Fluids, vol. 4, no. 4, 1961.Google Scholar