Psychological correlates of the course of Sydenham's chorea
- 26 Downloads
Published reports provide contradictory evidence concerning the cause, nature, and course of Sydenham's chorea: Physiological, psychological, and interactional hypotheses have been advanced. Reports supporting any of these views suffer from lack of detail, objective observations, and/or longitudinal behavioral sampling. This case was studied longitudinally with numerous psychological tests. They revealed acute encephalopathy and severe personality disturbance in the acute stage, followed by rapid and lasting clearing of both symptoms. Thus, this case provided evidence consistent with virtually all published reports and with each hypothesis about Sydenham's chorea, suggesting the need for more careful longitudinal studies and a conceptual framework which can more fully embrace all the data.
KeywordsLongitudinal Study Conceptual Framework Acute Stage Psychological Test Contradictory Evidence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aron, A. M. Treatment of Sydenham's chorea.Modern Treatment, 1968,128, 351–360.Google Scholar
- Hammes, E. M. Psychoses associated with Sydenham's chorea.Journal of the American Medical Association, 1922,79, 804–807.Google Scholar
- Matthews, R., Williams, H., Rickards, W., Waterhouse, I., and Allan, J. Sydenham's chorea: Its relationship to rheumatic infection and psychological illness.Medical Journal of Australia, 1960,47, 771–774.Google Scholar
- Rinne, A.-L. On the condition of patients with chorea minor in the light of follow-up examinations.Annales Medicinae Internae Fenniae, 1947,36, 613–618.Google Scholar
- Shasken, D. Mental changes in chorea minor.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1938,95, 193–202.Google Scholar
- Sydenham, T.Schedula monitoria de novae febris ingressu. Londini: Kettilby, 1686.Google Scholar
- Walshe, F. Diseases of the nervous system (10th ed.). Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1963.Google Scholar
- Welsh, G. S. An extension of Hathaway's MMPI coding system. In G. S. Welsh & W. G. Dahlstrom (Eds.),Basic readings on the MMPI in psychology and medicine. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1956.Google Scholar