Alkylation of toluene by molecular compounds of alcohols with boron trifluoride under pressure
Predominantly para-substituted alkyltoluenes are formed in yields of 52–78% in the alkylation of toluene with alcohols in the presence of boron trifluoride at 170–180° under the pressure of 50–60 atm; the yield of dialkyltoluenes in these cases did not exceed 9–17%.
Yields of the alkyltoluenes depend on the molar ratios of the original reagents; at a molar ratio of toluene to alcohol equal to 1:2, the yields of alkyltoluenes are raised by 20–25%.
The isomerization of the secondary radicals is not observed in alkylating toluene with alcohols under pressure and under the conditions employed by us.
KeywordsAlcohol Toluene Boron Alkylation Boron Trifluoride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. V. Topchiev, G. M. Mamedaliev and A. N. Kislinskii, Proc. Acad. Sci. USSR 112, 1071 (1957).Google Scholar
- I. A. Romadan and T. I. Rendel', J. Gen. Chem. USSR 26, No. 1, 202 (1956).Google Scholar
- I. A. Romadan, Yu. E. Pelcher and O. A. Vitol, Bull. Acad. Sci. Latvian SSR 4 (117), 143 (1957).Google Scholar
- I. A. Romadan and L. Lauberte, Bull. Acad. Sci. Latvian SSR 12 (125), 151 (1957).Google Scholar
- I. A. Romadan and S. Berga, J. Gen, Chenu 28, 413 (1958).Google Scholar
- R. B. Williams, S. H. Hastings and J. A. Anderson, Analyt. Chem 24, No. 12, 1911 (1952); L. C. Gibbon, J. F. Thompson et. al., J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 68, No. 6, 1130 (1946).Google Scholar
- P. P. Shorygin, V. Isagulyants and A, Guseva, Ber. 66, 1426 (1933).Google Scholar
- G. Desseigne, Bull. Soc. chim. France (5) 2, 617 (1935).Google Scholar
- O. Wallach, Nachrichten von der koniglichen Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften zu Gottingen, 1915.Google Scholar
- B. L. Moldavskii, G. D. Kamusher and M. V. Kobyl'skaya, J. Gen. Chem. 7, 169 (1937).Google Scholar
- R. Wigscheider, H. F. Perndanner and O. Anspitzer, Monatsh 31, 1267 (1910).Google Scholar